Solved PC suddenly unable to find wifi networks

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SHoHo

Hi, I'm hoping someone may kindly be able to help with this.

I have two PCs (both windows 10). The one I am now using is connected to the modem by cable. The other - too far from the modem to use a cable - connects through wifi. At least it used to! It has suddenly stopped.

If I look for wifi networks under settings I get the message No wifi networks found

I have tried switching the modem on and off, as suggested by the troubleshooter.

If I look at the dongle thing (this one) under view devices and printers it appears to be operating OK (I only bought it a couple of months ago)

When I tried doing the following
At the command prompt, run the following commands in the listed order:
  • Type netsh winsock reset and press Enter.
  • Type netsh int ip reset and press Enter.
  • Type ipconfig /release and press Enter.
  • Type ipconfig /renew and press Enter.
  • Type ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter.
The first two were OK, but then for ipconfig I got the message No operation can be performed on [Ethernet, Wifi 2, LAN *12, LAN *16] while it has its media disconnected.

I got a WLAN report and under Network Adapters it doesn't provide any problem numbers for any of the 13 devices, which suggests there isn't a problem with any of them?

I did try doing a network reset which didn't help (and may have made things worse as then I added the name of my wifi network but had to guess the settings).

I'd be glad of any suggestions or insights you may have, and can provide more diagnostics if you tell me what you need (and probably how to get it too). Cheers.

Couriant

James
Assuming a laptop, the biggest cause (and most easiest) is because the wireless has been turned off on the machine. Since you did not specify what machine it is, the wireless button is usually on the right side, or one of the Fn keys/PrScn (dell) on top, usually indicated by an antenna or radio waves.

SHoHo

Thanks Couriant, but it's a PC. There's no wireless button (as far as I'm aware!)

go to admin tools click on services and restart the wired configurational service DOT3 if there are other wifi services disabled or need to restart do them as well.

TerryNet

Terry
Some security suites (e.g., Norton) will "protect" you this way if they are too far out of date.

SHoHo

Thanks Kim7344, I couldn't find any service called DOT3... I restarted the ones that seemed relevant (Windows Connection Manager (which forced a restart of WLAN Auto-config), and Wi-fi Direct Services Connection Manager Service). But it hasn't made any difference.

Thanks also TerryNet. That PC has McAfee Webadvisor on it, all up to date. I tried turning off the firewall and running the troubleshooter but to no avail...

TerryNet

Terry
Checked the antenna to make sure it is secure and not positioned badly?

SHoHo

Well, it's positioned in the same place as been when it was working... but perhaps I should buy another in case the problem is there. It's kind of wobbly but other family members say that it has always been like that.

TerryNet

Terry
Test the adapter close (5 to 10 feet) to the router to make sure it still works. You could use another computer for the test if that is more convenient than moving the router or computer.

SHoHo

Thanks TerryNet. Sadly I have failed in this task! My functioning PC was still managing to connect through wifi after I removed the ethernet cable, so I couldn't test the adapter. And my very old laptop doesn't seem to be able to find a driver to go with the adapter, nor have my efforts to supply it with a generic driver succeeded. So your suggestion was a good one but I have proved to be too incompetent to use it! I guess I'll order a new adapter to find out.

TerryNet

Terry
My functioning PC was still managing to connect through wifi after I removed the ethernet cable, so I couldn't test the adapter.
You couldn't disable the wireless in Device Manager or Network Connections long enough to test the questionable adapter? In fact, if you normally have that computer connected by ethernet why do you even have the wireless enabled at the same time?

SHoHo

Oh goodness, I wished I had not wasted a chunk of the day being so stupid. Yes, I could disable the wireless (once you had pointed out the obvious to me) and yes the adapter worked fine. Which means I have ruled that out (thank you) but am no further towards finding what the actual problem is....

(Also, I don't think I did have the wireless enabled, it just kicked in without me doing anything... but I've now disabled it.)

TerryNet

Terry
It's kind of wobbly ...
Now that we know that the adapter is OK we (actually you :) ) need to investigate this wobbly business. Wobbly in the USB port? Maybe the port is less that perfect? Have another port in which you can try the adapter?

SHoHo

Ah, no, the wobbliness is in the adapter, the USB port is OK (though its sibling died some time back; the PCs probably 6 or 7 years old). But I've just checked by plugging in another device to the port and it was fine.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online