1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC suddently started auto shutdown frequently

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ftgml, Apr 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ftgml

ftgml Thread Starter

HP M9500 Intel Quart Core 8200, 6GB 640 GB, Win Vista Home Prem 64Bit. 5 1/2 year old.

It had been working fine for all the time. Three days ago, after I accidentally shut off and rutned right back on within a second the surge suppressor (A high quality one), about 3 hours later, the PC suddently shut down on its own. When truned back on a number of time, I would get various errors or occasionally no errors. Errors include some message about An Exception....., or blue window about checking recently installed software or hardware. It comes up and shuts down in 10 to 20 minutes. Each day, it would last about 3 hours after the first boot, then it will autoshut down rapidly.

Yesterday, I tried to keep it in the BIOs settings to see if it still would happen so as to determin eif the issue was with Windows, but it did too,. I also resotered Windows to the two days before the crash occurred, but it did not help. So, I suspect that it was the hardware problem.

With the quick pwoer shutdown and back up, could it damage harware? If so, what are the lightly suspects that may be affected? Power supplier alone? Other parts?

I would appreciate your expert advises to help me fix it if possible.

Thanks in advance.

2. jamesx121

jamesx121

I know U don't want to hear this ---I'm sure someone here on the site could possibly
    help you to track down your issue----
    U said its 5 and a half years old-----is there going to be parts available for your system----

power supply / ram memory cards---yes-----
    but if the motherboard is messed up--probably not----

then U would have to upgrade to a new motherboard ,, cpu,ram,, cpu---
    pretty much a whole new tower----
    U said HP-----if U want another store bought computer think about what U want
    to spend & we can give ideas on either a budget system or a higher end computer---
    but before all the doom & gloom----
    lets see if anybody has come across this situation before--possible fix

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    You could have done some damage to the Power supply. HPs of that vintage often used BESTEC power Supplies. Generally regarded as total piece of junk when new, one that old is suspect. A quick check to verify this would be to find a known working power supply of the proper type (correct cables and connectors) Connect it to your mother board and drives to see if it corrects the problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146124

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice