1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC switching itself off

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Makrel, Jul 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Makrel

Makrel Thread Starter

Hey. in the past week. my computer has taken it upon itself to randomly switch itself off... and not in a shutting down kinda way. it just looses power and everything goes black... its a real pain, and its starting to make the system unusable.
    These powerdowns are most frequent during games, however, they also occur during web browsing and listening to winamp.

i reckon its the powersupply, but theres a little twinge in me that says... maybe its not.

ive got a:
    AMD Athlon XP 3000+
    EPOX 8RDA3+
    512MB DDR ram
    Nvidia GeForce FX 5600 - 256MB
    SB AUDIGY 2

anything else you need to be of help?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    do you know what temp you are running at - possible a high temp - but you usually get a warning on some Pc's

waht if you just leave th epC idle????
    how long before it happens

3. Makrel

Makrel Thread Starter

if i leave it idle, it seems fine... altho sometimes that doesnt matter.. it can power down as windows is loading
    how long before it happens? it can be anything, the other day, i managed to play Ground Control II for hours... without fail, today.. i load day of defeat, and it crashes in just a couple of mins.

PC tem is around 35 celsius
    processor around 50 celsius

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    do you know the wattage of the PSU - do you know what the temp is when it stops

5. Makrel

Makrel Thread Starter

thats the temp when it decides to let me switch it back on
    and its a 550W Q-Tec power supply

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    someone else may have an idea - hopefully will reply.

maybe a problem with temp - can you monitor temp at all and see if it goes to 60 - mine is set to power off at 60.
    maybe reseat modules - memory, graphics etc
    theres a memory test you can run http://www.memtest86.com/ maybe that willl make it repeatable and help diagnose

7. rockinmale

rockinmale

I have to agree......
    If the cpu was overheating and shutting down the system. There should be a warning signal. Your running fairly new hardware that would have those options installed. Unless of course during installation the pc speaker wasnt connected from the case to the motherboard. It could be something that simple which is sorta doubtful. If the system beeps on powerup the pc speaker is working. I have a strong feeling that the power supply is the culprit.

Since this is a fairly new build. Did you buy a case with a power supply included? Im just wondering if you running an elcheapo power supply. If you would include the maker of the power supply as well as maximum watt output. That would help us out greatly in determining if this could be the cause of your problems.

8. emoxley

emoxley

Mine will turn itself on, during a storm. I mentioned it to the repairman that built it for me. He said he's never heard of one turning itself ON before. He's only heard of them turning themselves off before, and that was USUALLY a motherboard problem. I'm not saying that is your problem though. Just something to check into.
    Since mine happens when it thunders, he thinks it's the wiring in our OLD house. There's a rocker button on the back of mine, I have to turn off, to be sure it doesn't turn itself on.

9. Makrel

Makrel Thread Starter

the power supply is a Q-Tec 550W Gold Dual Fan
    supposidly quite a nice peice, for the price

its not an overheating issue, that pc is running cooler than it has in a long time.. particularly considering my house is a heat trap.

10. rockinmale

rockinmale

After doing a bit of searching this is a low quality power supply. I found a thread on another site that mimics the exact same problems your experiencing. The problem itself was the power supply.

Truthfully,if you can return this power supply and buy yourself an antec, enermax, fortran or sparkle and protect your investment. Otherwise as the saying goes.....You get what you pay for.

In my opinion the power supply is a vital component that you should not skimp on. Considering it supplies power to everything the system. If it should fail the consequences could come out of your pocket by destroying additional hardware when it fry's.

before i forget Here's the link....
    http://forums.jolt.co.uk/showthread.php?p=4412280#post4412280

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Q-TEC powersupply's aren't the best as mentioned above, I strongly suggest replacing it with a quality 400 watt powersupply or better. The above mentioned brands are good.

Also if your CPU temp is 50 degrees after being off for a while then thats high and unfortunetly AMD thremal protection is a bit lacking in protecting the CPU, hopefully you motherboard has some temperature warning that you can enable - its usually disabled by defualt. You can also get Speedfan to monitor temps from within Windows for not only the CPU but for the motherbaord and hard drives as well.

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

12. Makrel

Makrel Thread Starter

ok, so maybe it is running hotter than i realised... :eek:

any way to increase fan speeds through a software app? or do i have to fit some more case fans?

13. LukeW

LukeW

my pc does it during TOCA Race Driver and Robot wars but this one sounds more like overheating!

i know mine doesnt overheat anymore though so i dont know why mine just shutdown! just all goes black then restarts

14. Makrel

Makrel Thread Starter

thats probably memory. i used to have that problem on an old system, i replaced the ram chip and it never happened again

in this case.. it doesnt restart.
    Speedfan is giving me normal operational temperatures of
    Remote Temp: 70*C
    Temp2: 63*C
    Local Temp: 41*C

etc etc. basically im becoming convinced that this is a nasty case of heat. i figured my 550W PSU will be able to handle a few cheap(but very effective) case fans from overclockers.co.uk

15. Makrel

Makrel Thread Starter

ok, ive blasted the pc with compressed air and cleaned out all the dust, its now running a whole lot cooler, the problem however still persists, but only when the tempreatures are increasing.

the gcard is still runnings hotest at around 65celsius.

any idea what the problem is now?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/248656

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice