1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC switching off, tried everything, I think?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brookac, Apr 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brookac

brookac Thread Starter

PC, self build running fine for 2-3 years.

Started switching off (powering right down and back up), not during any particular application and no pattern. Switches right off and can restart by jogging the case. Below I have outlined my fault finding. Very intermittent.

Changed PSU
    Changed case (as thought switch might be faulty)
    In process above reset all hardware
    All fans working and clean
    Run with side off
    Monitored temps and think ok
    Stressed PC running AquaMark at same time as CPU stess test, cant recreate crash and temps go high but still no prob
    Run Memtest and no prob found

After 5 days of no probs tonight, on boot up it went straight to bios settings, making beeping noise (repeating continously). On screen it gave message that the CPU clock speed had been reset previously (it hadnt!) and causing error. It then crashed. Would only restart by a "tapping" the top of the case.

My thoughts:

Doesnt look like a temp prob
    Not PSU
    Feels like a connection issue

Or could it be faulty mobo (it is ageing) or CPU on way out?

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

2. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Completly tear that thing apart, and resassemble.

Sounds like either something serious is starting to crap out, or possibly something just needs to be resat.

So lets start with reseating EVERYTHING, pull the mobo out, all cards etc. Then completly rebuild it, and make sure everything is tight.

While the cards and motherboard are out, look closely for bulging transistors, warped PCBs, burn marks etc. If it looks suspect, suspect it!

Good luck

3. brookac

brookac Thread Starter

Thanks

I had already rebuilt when putting in new case, and problem continued so suspect as you say that there might be something on way out on mobo

4. Jordster

Jordster

Maybe CMOS battery on the way out? That's probably the only reason why BIOS stuff would be resetting, but I'm not sure if CMOS handles Fequency.

5. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Well I think that it may be the faulty capacitors. They tend to break if they are the chinease capacitors. Japanese are the better ones.

6. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

The BIOS does store settings for the CPU and RAM frequency... they can also auto detect.

It doesn't gurt to try a new battery, they are cheap enough. I do worry about the trouble you have with it not turning on though. Plus it turns OFF by itself, generally not a sign of the CMOS battery taking a dive.

7. frankjohn

frankjohn

Sounds like the board after looking what you have did

8. brookac

brookac Thread Starter

Update

have replaced mobo, and guess what....still having same problem.

So now all that hasnt been replaced is RAM, and graphics card, so going to swap these out to see if problem solved.

Only other thought is that it might be a dodgy CPU (never overclocked)

Any ideas appreciated

9. brookac

brookac Thread Starter

Cant believe it, just swapped PSUs, and the PSU is the cause.

This faulty one is a replacement PSU

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/815576

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice