1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC thinks my thumb drive is a CD drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by reednowensmommy, Nov 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reednowensmommy

reednowensmommy Thread Starter

Ok, so a while ago, my husband's computer had a bad run in with defective virus software. We had to reinstall everything. We were having trouble getting the network set back up, so he was unable to download drivers he needed (vicious circle. Needed drivers to get Internet, needed Internet to get drivers). I read an article online somewhere (oh! how I wish I had bookmarked it now, as I can't find it anymore) about turning a thumb drive into a virtual CD for just such a purpose. So we loaded his drivers onto it and it worked like a charm. Sadly, the article failed to mention that this would be permanent. We assumed we'd be able to delete the drivers off the drive when we were done, but they are permanently set as "read-only". I've tried everything I can think of to get rid of it, but for now the drive is completely useless. Any suggestions? Did I miss something obvious? Here's what I've tried so far:

1. Exploring files and deleting individually in Windows Explorer (returned access denied error)
    2. Doing the same thing from Safe Mode (same result)
    3. Changed setting in BIOS from Auto to Hard Drive (same result)
    4. Tried to delete partition from partition manager (same result)

Anything else I can try? Is there software out there (preferably one that costs less than a new flash drive) that you've had success with? Google tells me there are plenty out there, but I don't know which to try, and don't want to keep downloading and uninstalling them all until I find one that actually works.

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try reformatting and repartitioning it:

HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool

The part I don't understand is why you needed to make any changes at all to the drive to transfer files. Why couldn't it have been used as a normal thumb drive?

3. reednowensmommy

reednowensmommy Thread Starter

Because the only way these particular drivers were available was as a CD image but we couldn't get the computer to recognize the CD drive at the time. It was a big mess. The thumb drive as a cd thing worked to get the computer straightened out, but now I'm stuck. I'll try your suggestion. Thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/647481

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice