pc to stereo

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

vookster82

Just out of curiosity...what would it take to get a PC to output music to a stereo system. :rolleyes: Preffereably the easiest / cheapest way while not loosing much quality.:eek: A Audio card with RCA jacks? A regular audio card with 3.5 mm jacks? filter / converter / amplifier? I have no clue and the web was filled with just too much over the top stuff IMO....gotta be fairly simple...Any ideas.

Idealy id like to just run a line from the regular 3.5 with a 15-20 ft line to the stero with a RCA adapter for the 3.5....but that sounds too easy for decent quality.

Thanks for reading, any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thats the best quality you will get, probably fully equal to quality of the audio files likely to be played.

Line out from the PC 3.5mm sound card/onboard chipset to Line In (Aux) RCA jacks on the Stereo

vookster82 said:
Just out of curiosity...what would it take to get a PC to output music to a stereo system. :rolleyes: Preffereably the easiest / cheapest way while not loosing much quality.:eek: A Audio card with RCA jacks? A regular audio card with 3.5 mm jacks? filter / converter / amplifier? I have no clue and the web was filled with just too much over the top stuff IMO....gotta be fairly simple...Any ideas.

Idealy id like to just run a line from the regular 3.5 with a 15-20 ft line to the stero with a RCA adapter for the 3.5....but that sounds too easy for decent quality.

Thanks for reading, any and all help is greatly appreciated.
it is very easy i have it done now with an old amd k6/2 500 mhz pc with 4 gig of music onboard and i used the above method. i know another member that has a pc connected to their entertazinment counsel so the audio and visual from pc come through

i've use the method as well it's great... lots of fun lots of bass and so enough to make your parents and neighbors mad pending on the size of the stereo :) .... Y connectors are cheap and a good thing to have for either your comp or a tv that'll accept one... but hey any audio store should have that such adapter and it's not that expensive either so go for it

vookster82

So all i need then is a just a Y cable, with one end 3.5mm and the other two ends are RCA jacks?? Too good to be true. What about the ground loop noise i hear people talking about. (The hum) ??? Any of that with the straight connection using the Y cable?? Now i got to find a 25ft Y Cable...lol...someones gotta make it

EDit: does the 3.5 end have to be stereo or mono???? stereo right???

TRS-80 vet

Account Closed
Is the 3.5 mm jack the same as the headphone outlet on the desktop speaker?

I had my stereo rca input hardwired to this headphone jack under the house, no problem, then put the jack directly into the tower headphone jack, and still get good sound.

Is this a standard connection, or is there a better way?

vookster82

Its the 3.5 mm that is the regular small headphone jack your talking about...the average small one, other times called 1/8" or mini......not the big 1/4" pencil sized ones used for the old style headphones or guitars. About how much in length did you run? Just wondering what kinda length could be used before the signal is faint or hummy or static. As for your question....it works dont it...good sound right...nothings fried or overheats.... LOL, id be happy.:p

Meanwhile i had a brain fart and looked at my "cablestogo" catalog and found this nice cable setup for $20..check it out let me know what you think.

25' cable : $9.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=775579&Tab=0&NoMapp=0

or

50' cable : $16.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=775580&sku=C184-40238

vookster82

nice...ill probably end up with the 50ft. What was all this stuff i read about there being a hum if you connect direct from the PC to the stereo...just BS trying to get ppl to buy there product..??? B/c that was my main discouragement was that there would be static or a hum froma dirrect connection without a filter er something..

Thanks for all your help and suggestions....looks like im bout due for another donation :rolleyes:

just a wire to go from mini jack to RCA will do it. Thats the set I have in my house, except I go into an amp. The amp then splits it through a bunch of in wall speakers i have in 4 rooms, and then 2 pairs of outdoor speakers by the pool. Its really cool what you can do with all the technology. If your planning on sending the wire through walls, you will need a real stiff wire. The quality of the music is just as good as my sound card

stecks said:
i've use the method as well it's great... lots of fun lots of bass and so enough to make your parents and neighbors mad pending on the size of the stereo :) .... Y connectors are cheap and a good thing to have for either your comp or a tv that'll accept one... but hey any audio store should have that such adapter and it's not that expensive either so go for it

i agree, i turn my computer up to notch one, volume level 1, and you can hear my mom start yelling and stoimping on floor upstairs for me to turn it down, rather funny if you ask me :-D

how much r these Y cables anyways? i need one thats like 10 feet long :(

TRS-80 vet

Account Closed
I used a 6" y -> rca, and then two RCA couplers, and then a 50' RCA under the house to the stereo amp. No hum, no problems.

I think that the internal PC amp volume should be around 70 % - usually that's the most volume you can play without distortion of signal - THEN, you can crank the stereo. If the pc volume is < 70%, you're probably just amplifying distorted sound. Less than 70% on the PC volume, and you're just burnin' extra power with your stereo volume.

The 70% figure might be off a little, but not by much...

Just stop by a radioshack and ask for a minjack to RCA cord.

It should be something like this:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2110460&cp=&kw=mini+rca&parentPage=search
if its not long enough, 2 connectors and an RCA extension will work.

I like to have PC speakers as well as stereo. I use this, one side goes to stereo, the other to my regular PC speakers.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2123235&cp=&kw=mini+y&parentPage=search

IMO, You should be able to pull this off for less than $25 easily

e39m5

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.