1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC to TV

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SteveOH, Apr 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SteveOH

SteveOH Thread Starter

I was wondering what does it take to play a video that is in the pc on the regular tv? I have a Dell 8100 with a GeForce 5200 Ultra video card. Can this be done? :confused:

2. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Well, I believe there are a few options: (maybe more. not really my specialty.)

1. You'll need a video card with a TV out port so you can connect a cable to the TV.
    OR
    2. Burn the video onto CDR or DVDR and play it from a compatible DVD player hooked up to the TV.
    OR
    3. Some new DVD players now come with an ethernet port so you can connect your PC to it via LAN cable and show pictures and videos directly from the PC. Some even come Wireless capable now..$$$

3. gethedge

gethedge

From what I can find of the GeForce 5200 Ultra online, at least some models of it have s-video output. This would be a little connector on your video that looks kind of like a ps2 port (which your keyboard connects to). If you have this, you can easily run feed directly from your compuer to your tv. You can run S-video in if your tv has the capability, or a simple converter can be attached to make it composite video.

4. SteveOH

SteveOH Thread Starter

After looking at the rear of the video card it has an "s-video" jack on it. Guess it's off to the store to get a cable and stuff. ;) Thanks.

5. SteveOH

SteveOH Thread Starter

Took a little bit to get to the back of the tv but all it has is rca and coaxial jacks. Guess I better get some kind of an adapter.

6. brykMantra

brykMantra

Or it might be a good idea to go back to JSang's suggestion, to burn a CD and play it in a recent-model DVD player. If you have either a CD burner or DVD player, it might be easier and cheaper to buy the one you don't have (you can get a cheap DVD player for $29 if you shop around; same goes for CD burners) than to make several trips to Radio Shack for various cables and adapters trying to find the right one ...

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218684

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice