PC tower does not start

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Keysjunk

During a recent thunderstorm, I shut down my computer for protection. disconnected power. After the storm I reconnected the power and turned on the system and nothing. I have an e-machine model T2984 with XP Windows Home. I have looked inside the tower and can see a small green light burning. Am I missing a reset button or have I lost the power supply unit? The machine has worked great until this problem. The machine is approx. 3 to 4 years old. Anyone have any ideas?

Turn off the power button on the power supply (in the back of the PC) and wait a bit. Plug the computer in with the power supply off. The light should still be out.

Then, turn on the switch, and power up the PC.

Courtney

Keysjunk

Thanks for the reply. The E-machine tower only has a start button on the front of the computer. There is not any master on/off switch that most desk top computers have. I have tried the same, by switching the surge protecter on/off. No change. Thanks again.

When u turn it on do the fans come on and when u release the power button it goes off. If so this could be a dieing battery on your motherboard.

Keysjunk

When I attempted to start the computer, all hookups were disconnected. No fan noises only a small greem LED light comes on. Otherwise the tower is completely none responsive. I noticed the small battery on the motherboard, but am unsure as to it's function. I'll replace it to see if that could be the problem. The has worked great, with no indication of a problem. Thanks for your replies.(y)

First test the power supply. It is most likely a Bestec unit that has failed. Unfortunately about 80% of the time when these units fail, they also take out the motherboard.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online