1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC Tower full of dirt and dust

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bbrox, Dec 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bbrox

bbrox Thread Starter

Hey guys,merry christmas (a bit late,i guess)

Today,I wanted to unpack my pc.I was impatient to install linux mint x64 on my Quadro fx5500+4 gb ram+ core 2 quad and turn it into a monster.But when I had unpacked the pc,I saw it was full of dirt.Hope everything's fine and nothing's damaged but i have to clear out the dirt first and this thing got SERIOUSLY dirty.What do you suggest?

Attached Files:

2. ETech7

ETech7

Vacuum, but careful. Or take it outside, put on a mask and blow away, but also careful :)

3. replay

replay

not a vacuum.............. can of compressed air is the way to go

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

That's clean compared to some I've seen!

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I have seen much dustier. Get a can of air and blow it out; might also be a good idea to take the system outside to blow it out.

6. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

If you know what you're doing then take it apart completely as I can guarantee there's dust under that motherboard. I haven't seen something that dirty in years!

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Agreed :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. AstroNut

AstroNut

Took mine out to the shop, put on safety glasses and used a air nozzle hooked to 100 PSI, that dust just disappeared!!!

9. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

A mask would also be required for that! :D

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That is really asking to damage something. I sometimes use my air compressor to clean systems however I use a blowgun with a VERY small, restricted nozzle to blow out the system.

Using an unrestricted nozzle is going to damage a fan, knock loose a connection, etc.

11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Possible Hazmat suit too... :D

I agree with Crjdriver, using that type of pressure could cause damage. Hopefully your computer is fine but I would suggest to refrain from using it.

12. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I use my Compressor to clean out all of my computers, but the pressure is turned down to about 12PSI. Higher pressure as stated may cause damage.

13. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

Also compressors create moisture so if there's no inline water trap installed it's possible to bath your motherboard in moisture.

14. AstroNut

AstroNut

Well, you have to be careful, of course you don't blast sensitive parts with full pressure.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082606

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice