1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC troubles.. please help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Psycrology, Mar 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Psycrology

Psycrology Thread Starter

About a week ago, my computer randomly began "hiccuping", in the middle of watching a movie. The hiccups became more and more severe and frequent over the following 5 minutes, until my PC was 100% frozen.

This happens every time i boot up, without fail, whether in safe mode or not. I ran every antivirus i could get my hands on, uninstalled every unnecessary program on my pc, (this took a long, long time, as i had to reboot every 20 minutes or so.

So i've essentially ruled out a software issue as far as i can tell, which means it must be my hardware...

i'm running a Gateway FX6840 with an i5-650 cpu, an r7 260x gpu, 8g ram, Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.

A friend of mine said it could be a power supply or overheating issue, but after watching the temperatures through the entire boot-freeze process, it's not overheating. I suppose the power supply could be the culprit, but this PC has worked fine for about 4 years now... any help would be appreciated!!

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Gateway Power Supplies are not high quality units. Usually Bestec brand. 4 years is actually a good long run for a Gateway computer. A power supply problem could imitate any other Hardware and may software problems.

4. Psycrology

Psycrology Thread Starter

alright well then i suppose it makes sense that that would be the issue... guess i'll go grab a new one tomorrow. we'll see if that works

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you want to find out very quickly if it is a software/windows/driver problem OR a hardware problem, boot the system with a linux live usb/dvd. Watch a movie or whatever normally causes the freeze. If you have the same or similar problems when booting with linux, you know it is a hardware problem. If it runs fine under linux, you know the hardware is ok and it is a windows/driver/software problem.

I would use either linux mint or ubuntu for this task.

The above posts are correct; gateways come with low end parts and getting 4yrs out of it is really pretty good.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!