1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC Turning It On It Self

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DJKing UK, Oct 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DJKing UK

DJKing UK Thread Starter

Hi all. Once again I got another problem :( (and again another story :D ).

It started about 4 weeks ago, I woke up and my other pc was on and making a bad noise, as I looked at it the HD light was flashing in sync with the sound :confused: . So I tried to turn it off by holding in the power button in….nothing so I went to the wall and switch off the power to it. I turned it back on and the pc started up but its self :eek:, so I thought I would locate the noise as it was on. The noise was coming form the PSU so I thought that was dead.

I told some what had happened and they told me that where the HD light was going that the HD was dead. I check the master and slave in an external HD case and they both work.

The new PSU came today so I put it into the pc wired it all up and switch the main power and again the pc starts up by it self (without any bad sounds this time), I turn the monitor on and all what happens is the light flashes on then off and so on and nothing on the screen.

I don’t know what it could be. Anyone got any ideas?

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Where the PC is powering up automatically at switch-on, and you have not enabled that function in BIOS, then it's either a motherboard fault or a Power Supply Unit fault.

A section of the PSU is always "live", this supplies the power switch via the motherboard.
    A momentary connection to the switch will instruct the PSU to power up.

Personally I would suspect the PSU first, it sounds like it is cycling on and off.

3. DJKing UK

DJKing UK Thread Starter

DAM that was a quick reply thnx.

Well as I have just bought a new PSU (NOT CPU as I said before sorry) I would guess its the motherboard then :(.

Thnx for the advice.

4. 1069

Could it be that the power switch is stuck in the "on" position? Does it actually depress when you press it?

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    There is also a setting in the bios usually that allows the computer to turn on when power is applied to the PSU. This may have been changed by a program.

6. DJKing UK

DJKing UK Thread Starter

Well the button is working e.g. pushing in and out and clicking so I dont think its that.

Well as its is a spare pc and I dont use it everyday and wasn't using it the day/week before it started I dont know what to say about a program changing the bios.

Thnxs.

7. bonk

bonk Banned

Is this PC connected to the Web or anything else or is it on a home network?

8. erick295

erick295

This sounds like something in the power switch. The fact that it clicks doesn't mean much. You have to take it apart and look at it to see what's really going on. It may also be a short on the motherboard somewhere -- I would try disconnecting the power switch and taking the motherboard out of the case and see if it does the same thing.

9. 1069

To eliminate the power switch theory -

Switch off at the wall but leave the plug connected.

Take all appropriate precautions for the following - use an earth strap or at least earth yourself to the metal chassis before you put your hands inside the case.

Take the cover off and locate the power switch leads. Disconnect one from the motherboard. Ensure that it is safely tucked away.

Switch back on.

Your machine should not boot up - if it does then your problem lies elsewhere.

I assume that you mean the power LED is flashing on and off?

Do you get any beeps when the system boots up?
    One is normal - more indicates a problem.

Try taking the graphics card out (located at the end of the monitor cable - inside the case) again - usual precautions apply. Switch on at the wall - but not at the power switch.
    What happens now?

10. DJKing UK

DJKing UK Thread Starter

Ok.....Its connected to a router which is wired 2 the net and networked.

Yeah i know that clicking dont mean nothing. Sorry was in a rush. What I have done is unplug the power switch to the motherborad and power it on at the wall n it started up :(. I have also unplugged DVD drvie, Floppy Drvie, Slave HD, Extra Fans, and even the Matser HD just to see if it would started up by it self which it did.

Yep sorry I mean the LED is flashing on and off and there is no beeps when starting up:(.

Ok I will do that now. Am I plugging the monitor back into the motherboard or just leaving it out?

11. erick295

erick295

Also try taking the motherboard out of the case, in case there's a short.

12. 1069

You will not be able to connect it as the graphics card has been removed and it is connected to this normally.

The fact that there is no beep indicates a problem - I think we can safely assume that it is not the power switch.

If the graphics card removal does not change the situation ( you may get beeps - please post ) then take out the RAM modules and try them one at a time.

13. prosoft

prosoft

unplug all the floppy and hard disk units from the psu and retry.. looks like is a bad positioning of the floppy connector to the psu

14. DJKing UK

DJKing UK Thread Starter

Took the card out same thing happens. Starts up and no beep and with the HD LED just flicking away. (Sorry about askin if to plug it in again for some reason the motherboard has a monitor pulg on it with a cover :confused: . and I was tired lol) I also have done the RAM like you said and the same thing happens.

Haven't done this yet because I have not got the time n space to do it now. Might do it on the weekend tho.

Already done this mate. ^^^^^ look up.

15. Rich-M

Rich-M

Have you looked in the bios to see if there are any default wake ups called for in Power Management?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/514390

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice