1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC turns off randomly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Uncle Rico, Aug 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Thread Starter

I'm having a problem with my new build, it keeps turning itself off at random times without warning. There's no specific pattern that I have noticed. Sometimes it won't even stay on long enough for me to reach the bios, and other times it will go all the way into my windows vista and stay on for a while. The first time I boot it up it was on for a good 4 hours, then it shut off. Turned it back on and it stayed on for like 2 hours. Now I'm at a point where its turning off at random times. What could be the problem?

==>EVGA NVIDIA nForce 750i FTW SLI ATX
    ==>Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz
    ==>EVGA GeForce 8800GT 512MB
    ==>mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
    ==>Western Digital 500GB 7200 RPM
    ==>LOGISYS 650W

2. panicrooster

panicrooster Banned

WE are using very similar parts in our rigs but your pc cutting out could be a list of things. Anything from bios setup, drivers for numerous things and even bad wiring or memory setup. Without knowing what you have done to this machine it's very hard to tell and this kind of problem is a process of elimination. Tell us what you have installed and anything you altered in bios. If you overclocking it, then it's no wonder but odds are it's your bios or memory, possibly a driver. Set the bios to defeault or reset the Cmos on the board to reset it, install this Nvidia driver here

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Restart following Nvidia instructions and see how it runs. Beyond that you may want to adjust your memory and try setting it a lower frequency. Many think higher speed ram is best but it's actually not, will read higher on Vista only because of latency. I run 667mhz ram unlinked and set to 533mhz in bios and then matches the cpu internal freq of 266mhz (q6600). You have double that. If you overclocking the ram is what will get you 1st, and god only knows what your timings are. Try the bios reset and make sure oyu have the correct Nvidia driver and then see how it's going.

EDIT: I just realized something very important and more regarding your memory you are using.. you can't install 1066mhz ram on a 750i! You can get it up to 1066 overclocked but you can only use 800mhz ram!! Scratch the rest of my advice, you need 667 or 800mhz ram and that is why your system is shutting down.

3. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Thread Starter

I tried using 667 memory and it still kept turning off. I don't think that anything is overheating because I've checked the temperatures in the bios. The cpu is at 42 C and the board is at 41 C.

4. panicrooster

panicrooster Banned

Unless I have the wrong board specs it only handles up to 800mhz ram installed and will cause probs having higher, but you say you tested with 667 and still turning off. If temps are fine and you have the correct ram installed then it shouldn't be cutting out or BSOD'ing.. but one thing is you never have mentioned BSOD or blue screens, just cutting out. MAny things can cause that and hardware conflict can do that BUT maybe you have some faulty hardware.. like the mobo or power supply is screwed up. Make sure you have ALL of the wiring correct and also check the wall outlet youa re using in the house. If the wiring, ram, wall socket, etc is fine then I would be suspicious of the power or mobo. Make sure you check those small wires for the case wiring to the board. A faulty switch on your case could be causing to cut off just like if you were holding the button.

Edit: try a bios reset to default settings or reset the cMOS on the board

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/744270

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice