1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved PC turns on, fans run, but no display

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by yaboisam, Jan 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. yaboisam

yaboisam Thread Starter

Hello! As mentioned above, I have the suspicion that my motherboard is fried, but I’m quite unsure. The PC will turn on, there are no beeps though. Any assistance would be awesome, cheers.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, no one has any idea what hardware you are running. You need to post ALL of your exact system specs; ie exact motherboard, exact ram, exact video card, exact pw supply, etc, etc. Do not post "500W pw supply" Post the exact brand and model# Do that for all of your parts. If this is a big box system, ie dell, hp, whatever, post the exact brand, model# and service tag#

Next have you done any troubleshooting? If not, do the following;
    1 System OFF open the case and pull the pw connectors from ALL drives; both hd and optical
    2 Pull out any add-in cards ie sound, nic/lan, raid, etc. Leave your video card installed however do reseat the card in the slot and be sure it is fully seated. Note you may not have any add-in cards; that is fine if you do not
    3 Pull out all ram and blow the slots out with a can of air. Install one ram chip in whatever slot your motherboard manual says to populate with a single chip. Again be sure it is fully seated
    4 Disconnect any usb device ie printer, scanner, hub, etc. Leave your keyboard connected however be sure it is connected to a rear motherboard port and not a front case port
    5 Reseat both atx and aux pw connectors on the motherboard
    6 Clear cmos with the clear jumper for a minimum of 10 seconds. Replace the jumper to the normal or keep position
    7 Pw ON and see if the system will complete POST. If it does, shutdown and start connecting devices one at a time until you find the failed part. If the board will not POST, then you need to swap parts with known good units ie motherboard, pw supply, ram, etc.

3. yaboisam

yaboisam Thread Starter

Ah, thanks lad! Here you are-
    HP Pavillion 500 PC Series
    Model #500-070

Antec 450W Power Supply

Gigabye GeForce GTX 750 TI Black Edition

Seagate FireCuda Hybrid 2TB Drive

Everything else is stock.

4. yaboisam

yaboisam Thread Starter

Oh and by the way- this all happened when I tried to install an i7 chip. When that didn’t work and the PC tried to turn on I reverted to my older stock i3, but it still didn’t work.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Why do you think an i7 is supported? Did you check with hp to see if in fact your motherboard supports that chip? Just because the socket is the same, does not mean the processor is supported.

Have you done the troubleshooting outlined above?

6. yaboisam

yaboisam Thread Starter

I did not, and I’m quite unsure. I will do the troubleshooting now.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, the very first thing you do when attempting to install a processor is to check for support. Being this is a hp and not a regular board ie asus, gigabyte, etc, the ONLY way to find out if the cpu is supported is by checking with hp. My guess is that it is not. Unless the cpu you want to install is available as an option when you purchase the system, it is generally not supported. No big box mfg has any vested interest in you installing a faster cpu; they would much rather sell you a new system.

Next it is highly possible that when installing the cpu, you damaged the motherboard socket/pins. If you pulled the board out of the case to do the install, it is less likely you broke something. If you did the install with the board still in the case, then it is pretty common to damage something.

At this point, here is what I would do;
    1 Pull the motherboard out of the case and reinstall your old cpu [the one that worked] give the motherboard socket a VERY close inspection with a bright light. Look for any bent pins.
    2 With the board out of the case, do an out of case pw ON of the board and see if it will POST [there are detailed instructions for accomplishing this task in the guide at the top of the forum in the thread regarding problem builds]

8. yaboisam

yaboisam Thread Starter

Alright, I did the diagnosis and after the CMOS reset, it hadn’t turned on the display in the least. I’m pretty sure I messed up my motherboard.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Replace it with a board that actually supports an i7. Good ie recommended brands; asus, gigabyte, or asrock. Note you will need a new case as well since a standard atx type board very often does not fit a hp, dell, etc case.
    In addition, you cannot use your windows lic. OEM type windows lic live and die with the original hardware. You change the motherboard and you need a new copy of windows.

In short, you basically have to build a new system. You can reuse your old ram however if it is slower type ram, it might be worth it to install faster ram.

10. yaboisam

yaboisam Thread Starter

Alright man, thanks for your help!

11. lynx1021

lynx1021

This is an after thought but they had the CPU info on the HP page , it only I7's it supports are the Intel Core i7-2xxx (Sandy Bridge) Quad Cores up to 95 W . Did you make sure your I3 was reinstalled correctly, no socket bent pins, thermal paste?

12. yaboisam

yaboisam Thread Starter

I actually took off my chip to check out the socket pins as due to me searching up different things to try, and it turns out that all my pins are bent and flattened. I live in Virginia Beach, know anyone who can assist me in solving this problem or do I have to replace my
    motherboard?

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Replace the board. You have a choice;
    1 Replace it with a hp board and be able to use your current windows lic
    2 Replace it with a aftermarket board that supports the cpu you want to install however you will need the parts I outlined above AND a new copy of windows.

14. lynx1021

lynx1021

You need the exact number off the motherboard if you are trying to replace it. If you replace it with the same motherboard you won't have to reinstall anything. Otherwise you may as well get a new computer. Bent pins are usually not repairable. Used motherboards are available on the internet. I replaced one in a Dell OptiPlex 780 for $30.

15. yaboisam

yaboisam Thread Starter

So what I have is a h-joshua-h61-uatx. If anyone could assist in finding me a reliable buy source that’s under $100 that’d be awesome.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1202430

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice