1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC turns on, monitors emit light but stay black

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kahmet, Mar 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kahmet

kahmet Thread Starter

Hi! I have had trouble booting up my PC. The PC itself turns on, lights and fan and all, and the monitors I have hooked up to it turn on and emit a solid blue light on their power light. However, the monitors emit a dull black light like it is trying to boot up windows but it does not. It just stays all black. I have a Spectre and an older Asus (the Spectre connected with an HDMI and the Asus with a DVI cable). I have tried other monitors and other configurations with a VGA cable but to no avail.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hello kahmet,, and welcome to TSG.

Are there any built-in speaker beeps, or LEDs on the case or motherboard to indicate the Power On Self Test (POST) status?

Do any of the status LEDs on the keyboard light up or blink during power up?

Have the computer or monitors been moved, or the computer opened up since it was last working normally?

What is the brand and full model number of the computer and/or motherboard.

What is the brand and full model number of any video controller card added to the motherboard (information for the card, not the chip set on the card)?

3. kahmet

kahmet Thread Starter

The PC gives no LED or speaker beeps indicating POST has failed. I set up the PC and monitors two nights ago, being able to turn them on and off and 100% functional. This morning I woke up and I was experiencing this issue. I did open up the PC case and examine and see if there were any loose wires. None as far as I could see we're loose or unnattached.

This is the motherboard. Not sure where to find the model number Z390A PRO -- Gb LAN, USB 3.1 (1 Type-C, 3 Rear, 4 Front), DIY Friendly

The video card is a GTX 1080 Nvidia graphics card. Again not sure where to find the model number.

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Z390-A-PRO is the model number of a motherboard made by MSI.

Nivida makes the GTX 1080 GPU IC. Nvidia and other manufacturers make cards with the GTX 1080 GPU. If you built this computer yourself or had it built for you, the manufacturer of the card and the exact model number should be on a receipt or parts list.

The motherboard has four EZ Debug LEDs. The motherboard should have had no power-up problems if all four LEDs are off at the end of POST.

Did the computer normally show anything on either monitor during initial boot-up, before launching Windows? If so, does it still do that?

Am I safe to assume you are connecting the monitors to the video controller card and not to the video connectors on the motherboard?

Have you tried powering up with only one monitor connected?

Unless the CPU's part number ends with an F, have you tested removing the video card and using the motherboard's video controller and output jacks?

5. kahmet

kahmet Thread Starter

So I did some extensive testing. I learned that the EZ Debug light was stuck on VGA. I reseated the GPU. I attempted to CMOS (in not sure I did it right). I attempted to take a RAM stick out per power on. And here's where it got weird ... I had one RAM stick in the 4th slot ( / / / l) and the GPU was removed. I had a VGA cable hooked up to one monitor, running directly off the Mobo. Still didn't work. After plugging in one of the PS cords into a slot called PCI e1 or something like that and adding a 2nd RAM stick into the the 3rd slot ( / / l l), I turned on the PC and the VGA debug light lit up for a second then the monitor came to life booting up windows as it did so. I am so lost as to get my PC working with the GPU again, pls help. I should add that after I got windows to boot up, I reinstalled the GPU hoping that I found my fix. Upon plugging in the HDMI and turning on the power the problem resumed rather than fixing itself.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    If you don't have the Mobo Quickstart manual you can download a Zipped PDf version here:
    https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z390-A-PRO#down-manual

It shows the correct slots to use with 1,2, or 4 memory modules. One module in the end slot is not one of the configurations.

See if your video card has the same kind of socket. If it does, try moving the PS cable to that socket. The cable supplies 12 VDC for cards that require higher 12 VDC currents than available through the PCIe connector. While you are looking at the card, see if the card itself or the fan shroud has the Nvidia name on it or some other manufacturers name on it.

7. kahmet

kahmet Thread Starter

Okay I will fix the RAM alignment.

The video card socket is where I pulled that PS cable. It has a 6 prong + 2 prong cable that attach directly to the end of the Video Card. When it was in the Mobo though I only had used the 6 prong. The graphics card is an Nvidia.

8. kahmet

kahmet Thread Starter

Is it possible that the BIOS would need to be reset? Or maybe the drivers for the NVidia need updated?

9. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Is there anything in the BIOS settings that control if and how a Video Controller Card is used vs. the built-in controller?

It should not hurt to see if the NVidia drivers need updating or to reload them if you are already using the latest version.

From what I have read, the steady blue light on your Spectre monitor should indicate it is receiving a good video signal (at least as far as horizontal and vertical timing is concerned). To me, that sounds like the video controller is outputting black video rather than not working at all. Does the monitor have an on-screen menu page that tells you the video format that is being fed into it?

10. kahmet

kahmet Thread Starter

I am at work so I will check the BIOS menu and try updating Nvidia drivers when I get home.

As for the monitor, you are correct, the steady blue light coming on does mean a positive video input (what it used to do) and yes it does. In this case, it is HDMI but I can switch to either VGA or DP if using those cords.

11. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I am sorry. When I asked about the video format, I was referring to the number of horizontal and vertical pixels (such as 1920x1080) and the refresh rate.

12. kahmet

kahmet Thread Starter

Oh gosh silly me! I will check when I get home and update. I really appreciate you helping me dude

13. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Well, just to warn you, I am starting to run out of possible general causes for the problem. If it is something specific to your mobo or video card, I would be at a loss to figure it out.

14. kahmet

kahmet Thread Starter

Hey I got home. Updated the drivers for my display adapter. I fixed the ram positioning and I booted up the PC. Windows launched fine but there are squiggly green lines stretching the entire screen.

15. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Take a screen capture and see if the green lines are in it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1225177

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice