1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC turns on, no POST or motherboard screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dominym, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dominym

Dominym Thread Starter

I posted about this a few months ago, but the problem seemed to have fixed itself so I hoped all was good. Nay, it seems.

I put this PC together over a year ago, it's a dual boot machine (two HDDs) with Win 7 and Linux Mint. A few months ago, I rebooted to switch OSes and...nothing. PC was on but there was no MOBO screen and nothing was loading. After waiting about an hour and fiddling with it some, it booted up normally. It was okay until the other day when I restarted and it would not boot anything up at all.
    I cleaned it out, reseated the heat sink/CPU, hooked it back up and nothing. All it would do was turn on and that was it. No POST, no error messages, no BIOS, wouldn't load off disks...
    Today, I was just messing with it again (just turning it off and on to see if it might come up) and lo and behold, it loaded everything up. Of course, now I don't want to restart or turn it off again.
    What I'm wondering is, would this be a MOBO issue and should I replace it?

Specs!

MB: ASUS M4A785DT-V
    RAM: Crucial 2 GB 240 pin DDR3 (2)
    CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 2.9 GHz ADX245OCGQBOX
    Video: XFX HD-435X-ZAH2 Radeon HD 4350 1GB 64-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16
    PSU: Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL 600W ATX12V v2.01 SLI Ready

2. dai

dai

if the bios does not come up,unplug power plugs from the drives and see if the post screens come up

if the post screen comes up

try new data cables on the drives

d/load and run the h/drive makers diagnostic utility on the h/drive

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

your psu is low quality junk

3. SRD7

SRD7

Its either usually PSU, Motherboard or something like RAM/CPU. 9 times out of 10 for me it has turned out to be motherboard. Most manufacturers recommend running BIOS diagnostics to see what the problem is but thats very helpful when it doesnt even get to BIOS.. Does your BIOS have a utility like this built in?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089567

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice