PC turns on then off, and restarts. Is it possible that the

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

maximizeU

Recently I've cleaned out my work area and also cleaned off some of the dust in the PC case. Yesterday, I was using it fine for over four hours. No problems.

Today, I went on and played a game. Within a minute or so, the PC shut off and restarted itself.
It then restarted itself and I was able to use it for about fifteen minutes before it shut off again. Not good. I used speccy and open hardware before all of this happened and they were all good analysis in regards to temperature. I still went on and turned my PC on a couple of times. Now the PC would start, display would start, and I think maybe the MOBO is able to start somewhat but then it all shuts down. I'm thinking that the PSU is defective now since I recall that when I first used this PC for the last 6 months or so, whenever I turned my PC off, it would magically turn itself on. I thought that was weird but at least my PC was working so I ignored that sign which lead to now. What do you think? It's worth noting that I've observed all the fans I'm working order. Lights and everything coming on. But then PC shuts down but it also restarts itself when it shuts down. What could be the problem?

Here's my PC stats:
NZXT Source 210 Case
Gigabyte H110M-A Motherboard
RAM 8gb (I used Windows diagnostic on it and it said it was in good condition...)
I also have MAXTOR Drive (Hard Drive). I once had to do Windows repair on it because of corruption issues or something but I'm sure that's been long fixed.
EVGA 500B PSU NON-modular

Now what? I have a feeling that the PSU is the culprit. It was weird before when I would shut down my PC, it'd turn it back on. Now it seems that it's powering my PC for a few seconds then turning it off (not sure if that's actually the case, I bought a PSU tester that's coming around Monday so I should be able to pull down a few tests on it.)

Can you help me further?

NOTE: I've also uploaded my PC. readings from HWInfo64 & Open Hardware Monitor which are both programs!
And...here is tech-guy sysinfo:
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-6100 CPU @ 3.70GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 94 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 8144 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950, -2048 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 298 GB (247 GB Free);
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., H110M-A-CF
Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

Attachments

Last edited:

crjdriver

Why are you using third party programs? Gigabyte has purpose designed monitoring software that will give you accurate data. Go to the support page and download/install system info viewer. Note you must install app center first. Once done, post a screenshot of cpu temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. Do this twice; once under a no load condition and once while running prime95. Have prime95 running for at least 5min so temps and voltages have stabilized.
Here is a link to the support page for that mb;
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5589#dl

maximizeU

Why are you using third party programs? Gigabyte has purpose designed monitoring software that will give you accurate data. Go to the support page and download/install system info viewer. Note you must install app center first. Once done, post a screenshot of cpu temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. Do this twice; once under a no load condition and once while running prime95. Have prime95 running for at least 5min so temps and voltages have stabilized.
Here is a link to the support page for that mb;
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5589#dl
I didn't know that Gigabyte had released those utilities. Oh well, good to know. Thanks.

I just did a test w/out prime 95:
This is what came out of it:

This is the ss. w/prime 95 on bland testing:

I stopped the test at around ~ 5 minutes and took a quick screenshot. What do you think? Any leads?

(OPS, I didn't keep prime 95. running. I'll redo one of the tests really quick!!!)
EDIT: Here it is!
This is while it's running prime 95 on blend test and I took the screenshot:

Help?

Last edited:

crjdriver

You pretty much have your answer; just look at the cpu temp under load. 72C is pretty hot AND that is an i3 which is a pretty low powered cpu. An i7 in the same condition would get much hotter. In short, you have an overheating problem and you need to fix this issue.
Common causes of overheating;
1 System clogged with dust
2 HSF or cooler not installed correctly. In the case of an intel, one or more pushpins are not seated
3 Fan on cooler has stopped working
4 Thermal compound has dried out
5 Poor case airflow
6 High ambient temps and or system inside a desk or enclosure.

BTW I always recommend pulling the motherboard out of the case to R&R a hsf on an intel. AMDs can be done in the case without problems however the pushpins intel uses can be difficult for an inexperienced builder to get fully seated. With the board out of the case, you can inspect the back of the mb to be sure all four pins are fully seated.

crjdriver

BTW your voltages look ok under a load. You can still have a pw supply problem however it is unlikely with stable voltages under load.

maximizeU

BTW your voltages look ok under a load. You can still have a pw supply problem however it is unlikely with stable voltages under load.
Now that you told me about overheating and the CPU, I recall that when I was installing the heatsink onto the i3, I installed it then took it out multiple times. Does that screw up the thermal paste? I don't really think I booted up but maybe I did apply some pressure during those take in and take outs.

But here's the thing, I am using the system right now and have browser open. I can open several tabs (it seems) and no problems? I don't know about video games but yesterday, I tried to play one and got system shut down.

Should I buy a thermal paste and re-do everything as well as maybe get a new fan / heatsink (since I plan to get one anyway?)

This is the one that I'm looking at : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arctic-Silv...und-Paste-Grease-Tube-3-5-grams-/311105740166

Does that seem good to you?

Also, is it safe to be using this computer right now because I really need to do English essays and maybe a few assignments on it. I'm not gonna be playing games or anything intensive until I get this sorted. Thanks for your input.

crjdriver

A/S is fine however the same thing is cheaper at newegg;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0AJ3H27713
when I was installing the heatsink onto the i3, I installed it then took it out multiple times
I would highly advise you to purchase new pushpins or simply a new heatsink fan. Those pins are not designed to be installed and removed repeatedly. Once or twice, no problem however installing and removing wears out the plastic pins. If you purchase a new hsf, most of the time it will come with a thermal pad so no need to purchase compound. Some of the high performance coolers will not have a pad however those come with compound you install.

It is gaming that stresses the system. As long as you monitor temps, it should be ok until you fix the overheating issue.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online