1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Pc tv tuner cards

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by plvness, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. plvness

plvness Thread Starter

OK I bought a gateway model# GM5483e desktop an Avermedia M791 combo pcie tuner card in my system I will be using it as a dvr but here is the thing the IR receiver that came with it model number OVU4003 and it came with a windows remoteonly has a usb connection on it and it seems it is only designed to connect to the computer so I cant connect it to my tv which only has RGB so does any body have any suggestions for a way to hook that up to my tv or failing that a tuner card reveiver remote package to replace that Ive put a link for the specs of my tuner card hope someone can help me I want to tell comcast they cant have any more of my money and use over air signal and use my pc as a dvr thanks

http://www.avermedia-usa.com/avertv/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?Id=469&SI=true&tab=APDriver

2. DerekC

DerekC

Not really sure what you are trying to do. The Remote and IR receiver that came with the card will not work on the TV, only on your computer.

In most cases that I've seen, your TV is completely taken out of the equation. First you install the TV Tuner program that came with the card, then hook your cable up to the computer/tuner card, (If you have a cable box, then the connection needs to be coming from the box). After setting the program to the proper channel that your cable box broadcasts to, you would then change channels via the cable box or cable remote.

3. plvness

plvness Thread Starter

Ok I would like to be able to connect my pc to my tv and use my pc as a dvr and connect it to my tv like how you can do with the xbox360 mind you my tv only has rgb connectors while keeping my monitor connected to my pc as normal so is there a different tuner card that could make that possible
    thank you

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    If you want to record whatever TV program that is being shown on the TV, what is the source (over the air antenna, Cable TV system, Satellite, etc) and how is it connecting to the TV?

Once the program is recorded on the computer, do you only wish to view it on the computer monitor or do you want the sound and video back on the TV?

What are all of the inputs and outputs that are available on your TV?

5. plvness

plvness Thread Starter

Was gonna put rabbit ears On the tuner card and there is an in and out coax s-video and a white and yellow pin

Wanted to watch recorded and live tv it has rgb s-video and white and yellow

6. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    You can enter your address and a few other details at the following web site and get an idea of what kind of antenna you need for different stations. My guess is that indoor rabbit ears might barely qualify as a small multi-directional antenna. If the rabbit ears antenna has just a typical 300 ohm flat antenna cable, you will need a 300 ohm to 75 ohm matching balun transformer to connect it to the tuner card
    http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

You can use an S-Video cable to connect the tuner card output to the TV's S-Video input. You will also need a suitable audio cable and adapters to go from the computer's audio Line Out jack to the TV's audio input jack(s) associated with the S-Video input.

7. plvness

plvness Thread Starter

So will I view it through windows media center and access netflix

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975556

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice