1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC unexpectedly crashes/restarts?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheVanisher01, May 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheVanisher01

TheVanisher01 Thread Starter

This problem occurs when I play video games, occasionally when I'm not!

My Specs:
    FX8350 4.0 ghz
    12 gb of ram
    CX 750 watt Corsair power supply
    R9 290 Radeon Sapphire 4gb graphics card.
    M5A 78L-MLX Plus motherboard.
    Have three fans, two at the front, one at the back built in with my liquid cooling for my CPU.
    I keep the case open, for air flow reasons.

Could someone specify a cause for the unexpected restarts/crashes, it's persistent!?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, I see a number of issues here;
    1 CX pw supply. The cx line from corsair is for a basic build ONLY. It is not intended for any type of gaming and or overclocking. Using a cx in a gaming system is just asking for a problem.
    2 Your mb. Again this is for a basic build and NOT a gaming system. Asus boards that are intended for gaming have the 990fx chipset, heavy duty VRs [voltage regulators] heavy duty capacitors, and better chipset cooling.
    This is a mistake. If you have to leave the case open, you have an airflow problem, cooling problem, etc.

You have an asus mb so download and install asus probe. Here is a link to the support page for your mb;
    http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/M5A78LM_LX_PLUS/HelpDesk_Download/

Probe is under the utilities section of the downloads. Post the following info; cpu temp, system temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. Post this twice; once while at idle or no load and once when stress testing ie running prime95 or IBT.

Have you run memtest? If not, do so. Run it for a minimum of 1hr to see if you have any errors.

Have you tried pulling out your video card and running the onboard video that is part of that mb? If not, I would do that as well.

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

This is a classic case of mismatched parts. You have a high end cpu, a high end video card AND an entry level pw supply and a mid-level [at best] mb. Somewhat analogous to putting a high performance cam into an econobox card; you will never be happy with the performance. To achieve good performance from a gaming system, ALL of the parts need to work together.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148485

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice