1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Pc Upgrade help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jimbobthepirate, Jan 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jimbobthepirate

Jimbobthepirate Thread Starter

I payed £250 for this including the pc guys fee for ordering:

------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 1/17/2007, 07:04:49
    Machine name: JIMBOB
    Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
    System Model: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
    BIOS: Default System BIOS
    Processor: AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 2800+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.6GHz
    Memory: 512MB RAM
    Page File: 297MB used, 949MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

Now i believe that i have lost a lot of money off him here so i'm asking for help.
    All i want is some new parts for my pc. I don't know if the graphics card i have is ok but i know my processor is very low and i need more ram.

I have about £150 max can anyone show me or tell me a good cpu and ram stick for that price, or do i need a new mobo and graphix card as well =(?

The mobo is ASRock
    Has am2 boost 12.5%
    Sata 2 2.0 gb/s
    RAID
    NCQ onboard sata 2 3gb/s
    DDr2 800 max capacity 8gb

Cpu socket 775 celeron d326
    939 Athlon 3000+
    Am2 sempron 2800+
    Pci express
    Heres the link http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=AM2NF6G-VSTA
    I just listed all what was on the box so if anyone has any ideas on what i need to get to a goood gaming pc much would be appreciated.

2. bigbear

bigbear

The news is not good.
    To start Asrock is a low end board but it will support the latest generation AMD cpu's AM2 940 pins
    The system as it is at the moment is quite low end and £150 is not really going to make all the improvements you need.
    A new AMD CPU AM2 Athlon 64 3800 is going to cost £100 delivered so that does not leave much for the ram.
    http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=15380&GroupID=1086
    I would also need to question the PSU, I suspect its a case that came with the PSU and they are usually junk.
    I think you might need to go one step at a time until you can afford to put together decent componants

3. Jimbobthepirate

4. bigbear

bigbear

Power Supply Unit,
    An inferior power supply can cause all sorts of problems especially when gaming

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    If you got a OEM copy of windows with your machine you would also need to purchase a new copy of windows when you replace the motherboard and Processor.

6. Jimbobthepirate

I think mine is only about 300v or 350v :p so i probably need one of them as well.
    The computer guy said he gave me ddr2 ram but only one stick, whats this?

7. brite750

brite750

yes you have 1 stick of ram 512mb

what graphics card is in this pc?

8. brite750

brite750

forget about new MB, CPU, new copy of XP etc, thats just rediculous, a real gfx card and maybe another stick of ram to get you 1gig total would help, but for 150bps?, dont know

9. brite750

brite750

10. griffinspc

griffinspc

Boy I don't know Brite. That card's going to suck up power and if he sticks with a probably cheesy PSU he'll have problems and if he gets a new PSU but waits for the memory and processor he'll not see much if any improvement but he'll have a nice card.

The mobo has Integrated NVIDIA® GeForce6-class graphics DX9.0 VGA, Pixel Shader 3.0, Max. shared memory 256MB so bumping up the processor and memory (matched to the current 512) I think will get him the bigger bang for the buck if that can be done for the $$$ he has left, then buy a card later when the prices come down for this generation of cards as ATI and Nvidia sell nothing but DX10 based cards.

Either way it's a problem but a card right now seems to plug the least holes.

11. brite750

brite750

yeah this stinks no matter how you slice it, I dont have a lot of faith in ob gfx even nvidia, it may be fine for some games, but when I hear gamer, I think of at least middle of the road gfx card, not ob. And yes i have a feeling he would need a real PSU, even 7600GT needs min. of 20amp 12v, so you could leave MB, with OB gfx, up CPU to full Athlon 64, up ram to 1gig, that would buy you something for now, but I still feel even a Sempron with a decent gfx card would be better, the only unknown for me is the quality of the OB nVidia gfx, and of course the requirements of the games poster is planning on playing.
    A friend of mine plays WOW purfectly fine on a 754 Sempron 2800+ with a nVidia 6200, certainlt not with full eye candy but decent settings so maybe your way with boosting cpu/ram would be fine.

12. brite750

brite750

hey Jimbo give us some idea of what games you are talking about, solitare is a pc game too, but i dont think thats what youre talking about here.

13. brite750

brite750

Griff, I always seemed to get a big boost in 3DMark from installing a decent gfx card, but you are right CPU/Ram can cause bottlenecking as well even with the better card.

14. brite750

brite750

6100 gfx is listed as for multi-media and casual gaming????, whatever that means, also keep in mind that 6100 gfx doesnt even show up as a blip on any game benchmarking radar i dont think.

15. Jimbobthepirate

W0W thanks a lot for the replies.

The pc guy said hed take this processor back for £40

Supreme commander to be released febuary and i posted on their forums and they said that my pc wudn't cut it. Dawn of war crashes frequently. Battlefield 2142 can be slow and crap. Gets really annoying, i don;t want visula performance graphics where walys just a bonus to me not crutial. Halo can be slow sometimes.

Thanks again =)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537074

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice