1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved PC using Samsung 1080p TV as screen, image doesn't look HD

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by agent_washingtub, Feb 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. agent_washingtub

agent_washingtub Thread Starter

I'm not sure if this is the right category, if not any suggestions welcome.

I am having issues with using my TV as my computer screen. I received an HD TV for Christmas, but I have never been able to get that high definition look its supposed to have. When I run even 1080p bluray quality videos, the quality is just not there. I can sort of make it look better through the TV's menu, but the quality is severely compromised as I have to bring Sharpness WAY down to compensate.
    To be clear, the image looks bad everywhere on the pc, not just when watching a video.

TV is I BELIEVE (at work, will have to confirm when I get home) :
    SamsungĀ® UN40H5003 40-in. 1080p LED HDTV

PC is:
    Dell Inspiron 660
    GeForce GTX 760 Graphics Card

Connection is through HDMI ports

I have searched everywhere for this answer, any help would be appreciated.
    Also, I have already tried changing the device name to PC in my TV menu, that
    is not the solution.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    how long have you had the TV ?

a blueray is the best test , as far as i know, because it should run at 1080p
    TV broadcast would be 1080i - if HD

The PC part will depend on native resolution of TV and the PC graphics display adapter settings

if bluray looks poor - then you may need to discuss with the shop you purchased the TV from

3. agent_washingtub

TV hardware is fine. Looks fine when connected directly to BluRay (borrowed one for test).
    The resolution on PC is 1920 X 1080 (only 1080 option) and same goes for the Nvidia menu.
    The TV is brand new, not 2 months old.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    so the Quality is there on bluray ?

1080 is the HD bit
    would be worth looking in the TV manual and see what the PC resolution input is
    UN40H5003
    http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201409/20140902194336258/[UH5003-ZA]BN68-05829P-LPRENG-0725.pdf

PC input is that HDMI or using a VGA socket?

5. agent_washingtub

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. When hooked up to a BluRay PLAYER (seperate device, not going through PC) ,my TV appears to be in full HD.
    When running a BluRay video FILE from my PC (no disk), it doesn't look HD. Nor does anything else on PC.
    No help in the manual unfortunately.
    PC Input it HDMI

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    how does the PC compare to a TV broadcast - it will never be bluray quality
    also the video file - that may have been compressed and some sites quote video as HD and its not

can you use any ondemand service direct from the TV and then download onto the PC and run

try using VLC that cna give reasonable results - BUT do not expect bluray quality

7. colinsp

colinsp

First Name:
    Colin
    The other problem you may have is one of expectation. How close to the screen are you when using it connected to a PC? With a 40" TV it is designed for viewing from at least 6 feet away. If using it as a PC screen you are probably much closer than that and may be seeing the individual pixels. Also what resolution is your PC outputting. Ensure that it is set to 1920 x 1080.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142878

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice