1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC vs. MAC

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by jasonrosegiese, Nov 20, 2001.

Advertisement
  1. jasonrosegiese

jasonrosegiese Thread Starter

Hello everyone,
    Well since I'm not having any problems right now, I decided to come in here, and start an argument. Please correct me if any of the info is incorrect. I'm pretty new to the PC world, and there's a lot I don't know, like almost everything, but I did build my own PC, and it only took 2 or 3 threads to make it work right. ( not bad for a newbee)
    I was just playing a friends new iMAC, and I have a couple questions to address.

I was baffled when I looked through the specs on this rotten apple( remember, this iMAC was baught new this summer for $1299)
    G3 233MHz(300 max)
    32mb ram(128 max)
    4 gig hdd

Why so low? Does apple measure there numbers different?

The PC I built is using mostly used parts (most of which are from 1997) runs at 450MHz, with 512 Mb ram, and is capable of 800MHz, with 1024Mb of ram.

I spent less than $500, and that includes everything, even the 4 speaker surround with a powered sub, and a 15 in. monitor.

The worst thing is, he thinks his apple is fast. It didn't seem that much faster than the old 486dx100 MHz I just gave away.

Is the fancy colored shell all iMac has going for them?

"MAC from OK" I'm looking foward to hearing from you. Maybe you can shed some light on this.

2. MacFromOK

MacFromOK

Hey Jason, :)

Well the "Mac" in my name is just a nickname for
    me. Has nothing to do with my computer, which
    is a PC.

I have only two words concerning my preference
    for a PC: "SOFTWARE AVAILABILITY"...

I'm guessing you can get more FREE software for
    a PC than you can beg, borrow, buy, or steal
    for a MAC computer...

Cheers, Mac (a PC owner...)

3. Lurker1

Lurker1

4. deuce

deuce

Macs will never catch up! (jumping aside...) PCs will always be better! (Ok watch the people come out of the woodwork on this one--I wonder if they will fight as viciously as they do during an Intel-AMD war... :D)

5. jasonrosegiese

lurker,
    I'm not sure what side your on. It was like you were defending Macs, but when I checked out that site, and it only prooved how caveman like they are.
    $800=500MHz with 64 Mb ram & 20 gig hdd
    $1000 upgrades to 128 Mb ram and a CDRW
    Even $1400 only gives you 700MHz with 256 Mb ram and 60 gig hdd.
    All of them have a 15" monitor, and 16 Mb video card

So I guess this means it is just a fancy shell??

Thats too bad, a little compitition wouldn't hurt.

P.S. Mac from OK,
    Much Apologies, but I'm sure you can understand how the mistake was made.

6. Dark Star

Dark Star

You've gotta hand it to Steve and company though because putting an Apple computer in vitually every classroom in the continental US was nothing short of brilliant........

.....having said that. I agree that it is a major concern with software availability and overall compatibility, don't know much 'bout Mac's otherwise.

MacFromOK is a pretty cool guy who has a white car I'm still thinking 'bout buying, and he taught me a thing or two 'bout welding. :D

McDonalds big Macs are a joke and nothing like the original Big Macs now those were really good.

I went to the US Festival and Steve Wozniack from Apple funded that whole event and I had a great time there. :rolleyes:

Alaska?.......so how much you guys paying for reg. unleaded gasoline now-a-days?

DS

7. deuce

deuce

wow... all that and a fancy shell... :D I would like to add that my P4 1.5 Ghz that I built in August with a 100 GB HD, Raydoen 64 mb DDR, and SB Audigy Platinum was only $800 or so. :D

8. jasonrosegiese

Actually, Gas prices are down at $1.49 per Gal. regular unleaded, but my built 4X4 Dodge only gets 10 mi. per gal, and I live 60 miles from Anchorage. That adds up quick.

9. deuce

deuce

Gas here is $.92... :D

10. Dark Star

Dark Star

jasonrosegiese,

A buck and a half a gallon is just plain 'ol out of whack with a place that produces the huge quantities of oil that Alaska does.

We've been kicking gasoline prices around in another thread here for a while now and prices are all over the place and there is no real rhyme or reason I can see as to why they are so wide ranging......
    ........here we're at $1.13 gal today and still going lower everyday, I'd say that Alaska pipeline did nothing to help you guys out.

Maybe Mulder knows what's up with this price thing, heck maybe he can fix it.

DS

11. jasonrosegiese

We were at $1.70+ before we went to war. In fact $1.49 is as cheap as I've seen it in at least 6 months. It only seems like we produce a lot of oil, Alaska produces a very low percentage of the worlds oil. It all gets sold, and the people of Alaska get a kick back from it.(the permanent fund) Almost $2000 a year, so it's not all bad.

12. Dark Star

Dark Star

"Alaska produces a very low percentage of the worlds oil. "

Be that as it may.........It ain't helping that it's all flowing down that pipeline into California. I dunno I may be all wrong here it just seems you guys are paying more than you should be is all.

"the people of Alaska get a kick back from it.(the permanent fund) Almost $2000 a year"

Is that per resident? and if it is, can you use it in some way?

I don't mean to take this thread off topic, but I'm just curious is all.

DS

13. jasonrosegiese

It's kinda like everyone owns a share of the oil companies. All residents are givin a dividend check annually(mid-Oct.), with some exceptions. Convicted felons, for instance, are not eligible.

So why is it you're trying so hard to change the subject. Are you, perhaps, an iMac fan in hiding??

I was really hoping to here a little defense from the Mac guys, somebody must be buying them if they're still selling them.

Is there anyone out there that will at least admit to using a Mac??

14. Dark Star

Dark Star

jasonrosegiese,

Thanx for the info. :)

Nah, I'm not a Mac owner nor have I ever used one, but I'm sure someone in here is.
    You might wanna look around in the other forums I think they like to hide. ;)

DS

15. MacFromOK

MacFromOK

No problem. :)

Actually it's happened before. I've got a nephew
    that goes by PCMac, and I think I'm beginning to
    understand why...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59095

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice