1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC went 'zap' and won't power on ever since

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BluMac81, Apr 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BluMac81

BluMac81 Thread Starter

I have a pretty nice gaming PC that is about 2 years old, never had any issues with it until a week ago. One day I found my PC powered off in the morning, tried to power it on and it flashed on momentarily then I heard a little 'zap' and it powered back off. Since then, it will not power on, though lights will flash on and fan will spin momentarily after hitting the power button for about 1-2 seconds and then power off.

I don't have a multimeter or anything so I cant check any voltages. Think it could be the power supply going out? Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Matt

2. NICK G

NICK G Banned

Sounds like a PSU failure. Can you get your hands dirty? Been into the case before?
    If so, power off and unplug all power connectors except for maybe one hard drive.
    Turn on power and see if drive powers up. If PSU fans spin briefly and quit, PSU is bad.
    If hard drive spins up and power remains on, turn power off and plug in motherboard
    and repeat test. Keep repeating this adding on components to the PSU connectors.
    If you find a component that stops PSU from coming on and staying on,
    then that's the culprit. But it's most probably a PSU.
    Good luck.:)

3. loony_taz00

loony_taz00

Any word on this Yet?

4. BluMac81

BluMac81 Thread Starter

Yea. Thanks for the help...
    Basically I did as you said and disconnected each hard drive and then both and tried to power it on, but it did the same thing, flashed real quick then powered off.
    I then had figured it would be the PSU so I completely removed it and had intended on buying a new PSU, until a friend of mine told me that it is most likely the motherboard since there was no smoke or burning of the PSU, and that to me, the PSU looks fine. So now I'm in a pickle on which component to buy, the PSU or a mother board. Any thoughts on how to isolate which one it is?

5. JcHc3in1

JcHc3in1

This happened to me just a couple months ago. It is definitely your power supply

6. AceS

AceS

borrow your mates PSU, if it works, you need a new PSU, if it doesnt, then get a new motherboard. seems obvious eh!

7. murf8284

murf8284

Could you recommend a good PSU ?
    Basic Specs of PC
    XP
    2 GB Ram
    E6500 Processor

8. JcHc3in1

JcHc3in1

What kind of video card do you got?

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

Buy the psu first, it most likely is that. It you buy an Antec, Thermaltake or Enermax, you will be fine and go at least 450 watts.
    One thing you can try is pull the power plug out of the back, push the power button in for a few seconds to discharge any power. Then wait about 30 minutes and plug the power cord back in again. If you get a start or near start then it is the psu for sure.

10. BluMac81

BluMac81 Thread Starter

Hey guys thanks again for the help.
    Update on this is that I was able to take a scrapped computer's PSU and basically replaced the current PSU with the PSU in the scrapped computer. (see pic)
    Still does the exact same thing, when I hit the power button it flashes on for like half a second then cuts out.

Totally lost at this point because it doesnt seem to be the PSU.
    Think it could be the motherboard after all?
    Debating about whether I should bring it into a repair shop (they charge like 75/hr though) or just use the parts from the computer to build a new (a maybe better) computer.

The main thing is that I want those hard drives working cause it was a great deal of important stuff on there.

To answer the video card question, it uses a Geforce 7800 GTX video card.

Either way, if its a motherboard I mind as well get a new computer because I hear they are expensive and a pain to swap out, have to have the right type and all. I do have a Intel Core 2 Duo processor on hand (given for free while I was working for Intel) so maybe I can work with that... though the current setup on that computer has an AMD processor.

Arrgh. Advice?

[​IMG]

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

Sounds like motherboard now....if you are certain psu you used is still good.

12. BG-0

BG-0

I still would doubt the PSU a little, emphasized on the little. Are you really sure the scrapped computers PSU is still functioning and has enough power for the current build?

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The zap you heard was most likely a capacitor exploding. Before buying a new mb, I would swap in a known good pw supply and check.

BTW when a pw supply fails, it often takes out other parts as well; mb, video card, ram, etc. You could well have a failed pw supply AND now a bad board, ram, etc.

Since you posted you have info on the drives you need, then pull the drive and connect it to the system you are using now. Copy whatever data you want. Hopefully you do not have these drives in raid on a motherboard type controller.

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

FWIW years ago I had a system brought to me for a no boot condition. When I attempted to pw it up, the pw supply exploded. The only parts that were usable after that were the keyboard and mouse. ALL other parts were fried when the ps exploded.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704714

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice