1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved PC will not boot and cannot enter BIOS settings

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by emjaygee177, May 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. emjaygee177

emjaygee177 Thread Starter

My PC will not boot nor will it access bios settings by pressing F2 during boot process.

About 6 weeks ago after an automatic Windows update my desktop PC became afflicted with the “Critical Error – Start menu and Cortana aren’t working etc “

I resolved the matter by restoring my PC back to a state it was in few days earlier.

Yesterday the Critical Error – start menu problem came back. When I tried the restore back to an earlier state the restore didn’t work and the PC just hung.

Now I cannot boot or access the bios settings. I tried booting directly from a Windows Disc but that will not work either. It will not boot in safe mode either.

Whereas I can understand that the unsuccessful restore may have corrupted the operating system I cannot understand how the BIOS will not work and why I cannot get into BIOS settings

I have tried booting from a Windows disc but it will not do so - seems to me that the BIOS is bad

I would really appreciate if anyone could give me a few pointers on what to try out

Many thanks
    ------------------

My PC is a Dell XPS 8900 running Windows 10 fully updated, and has an mSATA SSD and two hard drives

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  2. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Try to open it up. THen disconnect all drives and remove any expansion boards you may have. Will it boot then?

emjaygee177 likes this.
  3. emjaygee177

Will try that tomorrow - thanks

4. Hamphoeby

Hamphoeby

Clear the motherboards CMOS. Be sure to unplug the computer's power cable from the computer, move the CMOS jumper to the "clear" position or remove the battery for a few minutes. Reposition the CMOS jumper and power up the system... If you can now get into the bios, check and see if your hard drive are being detected...

emjaygee177 likes this.
  5. emjaygee177

Thanks for that will try it in next day or so - will come back one way or other

6. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    WHile "Hamphoeby" is right about clearing the CMOS. I think you should wait with that until you know if it'll boot without any devices attached. If it does, then plug devices in one by one until you find the offending device. It could be something as simple as a short or a board/memory stick not inserted correctly. As in not completely seated.

emjaygee177 likes this.
  7. emjaygee177

Hi Guys - success!
    I reset the BIOS by removing the battery on motherboard for a while. That action didn't actually work first time (using the jumper method wasn't clear and obvious to me quickly)
    I then went on a bit of a blitz -
    reset the BIOS again by removing the battery temporarily
    disconnected power to the disc drives
    disconnected all peripherals except monitor, keyboard and mouse
    switch PC back on and the BIOS came up on screen
    switched system off
    reconnected the disc drives
    rebooted and it booted and went to Windows
    Windows attempted to auto repair itself which it did eventually by restoring back to a former state
    I updated Windows
    reconnected printers, scanner, speakers
    rebooted and all is well - including Critical Error - start menu, Cortana etc etc is fixed for now
    All that on Friday 13th - happy days
    Thanks for the help guys

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1171211

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice