1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Pc Will Not Boot Or Show Desktop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jamespsn, Sep 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jamespsn

jamespsn Thread Starter

I have recently had a driver problem so I had to restart windows 98. I did not have the disks and the saved version was missing a file so I decided to use the windows xp startup disks from a different computer. Now my problem starts. My cpu will come to a black screen with different startup options, safe mode and last known working version, but none will bring me to a prompt of any sort. The cpu will either just restart or freeze up. I don't have the money to buy any parts and i just got my cpu. Can someone please help me?

2. zmaster

zmaster

ok this is really confusing. You had to restart windows? do you mean you had to re-install windows after your driver problem? If you had driver problems you should have gone to the driver's home page and downloaded the latest drivers from there.

I'm not even sure you can fix this without having to format and re-install, but seeing as you were gonna do it above (i assume) i guess its not a problem (hopefully you have backed up all your important information).

Here's how to go about fixing the problem. You need a windows 98 boot disk and your windows 98 cd (which you should have from when you first got your computer) If you don't have a windows 98 boot disk you can download one from here.
    If you plan on putting a different windows on your pc (ie 2000 or xp) the circumstances change. With windows 2000 you need the windows 2000 cd and the windows 2000 boot disks (there should be four). Xp on the other hand only needs the Windows Xp cd.
    Please post back with what you plan to install, as each process is different.

3. jamespsn

jamespsn Thread Starter

thanks for the reply. unfortunatly i did not back up anything. I also used an xp disk which is to be used with emachines only, i failed to read the small print. I have a compaq presario. I am going to reinstall windows 98. I guess my harddrive is totally wiped out and I will have to reboot from scratch. Please help me through this process. Also the cpu that i am using to write these messages does not have a floppy disk drive. Is there any way I can get one on a cdrom? If not I guess i will find another cpu to use and copy one from there. Thank you so much for helping me!!

4. zmaster

zmaster

just re-read your first post and picked up something i missed the first time. The "last known working version" option. What happens when you choose this one? What screens are brought up and what options does it give you? We might be able to save your computer from formatting yet :p

5. jamespsn

jamespsn Thread Starter

well i have already formatted and reinstalled win98. I have it up and running but now i have a virtually blank cpu!! How do i get my modem and sound and graphic crads working again? any help on rebuilding a system is greatly appreciated!!!! thank you all so much

6. zmaster

zmaster

To fix your graphics,ect you should have these cds from when you first got your pc. Also i would make sure you get your anti-virus on that pc as soon as possible. esp if your on the net. if you don't have the cds for your sound, graphics,ect. You should be able to download the latest drivers from the hardware's website. Try this Link

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274154

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice