1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

pc will not boot, replaced mobo & ps, still won't boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by iamchar, Aug 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. iamchar

iamchar Thread Starter

:confused: my pc was on, i was on the internet when there was an audible pop and the screen went blank.
    this had previously happend a couple of times and i didn't know what happened but was able to reboot with no poblem.
    this time there was no reboot, the light for the on/off switch lit up, the fan was going 290 but it wouldn't boot and the off switch would not power off. i had to cut the power by turning the power switch on the back of the tower to the off position.
    i was initially told the ps was bad,
    replaced ps with upgrade.
    same problem
    then i was told the mobo was bad,
    replaced with upgrade.
    same problem, but now the monitor says no signal, don't remember if it did that before or not.
    the new mobo has more ram than the old one and has a different hardware config. i have a new hdd i wanted to add as slave, but the new mobo doesn't have the old mobo's ability to plug in 2-24 pin connectors-1 for the cd/dvd drive and 1 for the hd. the new ps will hook up for both types of connectors for the cd/dvd and the hd
    i'm not really super knowlegable about the hardware end, i knew this was more than plug and play but i don't think the advice i'm getting is correct, the problem seems to be the same and new advice says replace plug and play graphics card.
    i don't mind buying more hardware but want to get the right thing.
    i can't replace the pc, it would amount to a 5000 dollar upgrade to periphials.

thanks for any input

iamchar:eek:

2. aliasme

aliasme

What OS are you using? What make and model of motherboard did you remove? What make and model of motherboard did you replace it with? When you change a lot of hardware in Windows (swapping the motherboard is a prime example, since it has many components built-in), Windows often can't deal with the changes, and it won't boot up.

Your best option is probably to get a spare HDD and install Linux on it. If you install Linux, you will know immediately what hardware is or isn't working. You've got a new mobo and PSU, so with a little luck, everything SHOULD work. If the hardware works with Linux, it should work with Windows. If it doesn't work with Linux, you'll know what needs to be replaced. If you don't use Linux, you won't know if Windows is brain-damaged, or if some of the hardware you haven't replaced yet is defective.

I can understand your typing fairly well, but I hope you'll start using capitalization and better formatting, such as leaving blank spaces between paragraphs, to make it easier to read your replies. I suspect that is why no one has replied to you before now...

This isn't for the faint-of-heart, but it CAN be done with a little effort. Think about what you want to do next, and let us know.

3. iamchar

iamchar Thread Starter

thanks for the reply, didn't know for sure what info you would need, here's what i have

PC-Emachine T6532

new MOBO- GA-M61PME-S2P
    S-series MOBO supports AMD Phenom x4/Athlonx2 series processors Gigabyte GA-M61PME-S2 Motherboard - NVIDIA GeForce 6100, Socket AM2, µATX, Audio, Video, PCI Express, 10/100 Ethernet LAN, USB 2.0, Serial A
    MPN: GA-M61PME-S2P

(link to webpage for MOBO) http://www.compusa.com/applications...d=2323&msg=4523592&inactive=1&srkey=G452-1012

new HD -SATA Deskstar internal HD,

(link to webpage for HD) http://www.compusa.com/applications...LET328ORDER-_-03order&SRCCODE=WEDBLET328ORDER

xpmce sp3

I have no knowlege of or experience with Linux
    I have the original HD with xp on it and the new SATA which is of course blank. One problem I'm having with testing, I don't have a spare PC to hook anything up to and make sure if it works or not. If I need to us Linux and there is no alternative, I'll look it up.

char

4. iamchar

iamchar Thread Starter

oh yeah, before i changed the ps and mobo, the only thing different were
    1- I added a plug and play which added 4 additional usb ports
    2- I added a wireless usb connection
    3- I added a external 1 TB HD
    4- I added a collar to the connection for the printer that would allow a program to run.
    5- I have a wireless printer
    6- I have a new flatscreen Acer monitor
    7- I have Charter for my ISP

my concern is the problem I am experiencing now seems to be the original problem
    1- won't boot
    2- both fans start as soon as power is applied and they go WAY to fast
    3- no signal to the monitor
    4- on/off switch will not "turn off" the computer, I have to unplug or power off from the power switch on the back of the computer.

these are all the same problem as before replaced anything.

i saw where i can download linux and use it to boot from cd, i can't connect the cd and the hd at the same time now ( i don't know a work around for the fact that the new mobo only has 1-IDE connector socket and the original HD would need one and the CD/DVD drive would need one also.) do I need to put all the old components back in to see if linux will boot up the pc?

just asking, i am WAY out of my element here

thank you,

char

5. aliasme

aliasme

Here's a suggestion; let's try to figure this out right away; we won't even need Linux for this. Please disconnect or remove:

1. The P 'n' P USB card

2. The wireless USB connection

3. The external HDD

4. The wireless printer

5. The soundcard, unless you use onboard sound.

6. ANY other PCI cards, such as the NIC (network card), a TV tuner card, ANYTHING that you don't NEED simply to boot the system.

Disconnect or remove anything else you haven't already mentioned here; Compact Flash cards, USB flash drives, microSD cards, ANYTHING that you don't NEED for bootup.

Obviously, you will leave the videocard, CPU, heatsink and fan, RAM, and other essential items installed. Don't laugh; several years ago, while I was doing phone support, some guy couldn't get his system to boot, so he called for advice. He'd stripped the system down to the bare essentials to troubleshoot a problem (essentially the same thing I want you to do), but he ALSO removed his RAM, not realizing that the system wouldn't even POST without a stick of RAM. Once I got him to install RAM, we found the problem pretty quickly (dead video card).

ANY one of those devices, or a combination of them, could be causing this type of problem. I suspect that ALL of the items you added recently (numbers 1 through 4) run on the USB bus, though you didn't mention whether the external HDD connects through a USB cable, or something else, such as a FireWire or eSATA cable.

Next, install the OLD motherboard and harddrive; we want to work with the ORIGINAL configuration as much as possible, because you already have Windows installed with all the drivers for the original motherboard. Changing motherboards without doing a fresh reinstall of Windows can be a REAL nightmare, and that is something we want to try to avoid if at all possible.

You should install whichever PSU (power supply unit) is more powerful; if you have one rated for 300 watts, and another rated for 400 watts, use the one rated higher. That really isn't the best way to determine which is the better unit, but we can deal with that another time.

Once you've got everything removed / disconnected, using the original motherboard and HDD, try to boot the system. If it fails to boot, UNPLUG THE SYSTEM, then check that the RAM is properly seated, and that all other connections are tight. Make sure that everything else (videocard, soundcard, whatever) is connected properly; if a PCI card comes part way out of the slot, it can cause problems with bootup, or even cause damage to the hardware.

Be thorough as you do this; as I mentioned, I want you to strip the system down to the bare essentials. If we can get it to work, you can reattach one item at a time, leaving the USB card and devices for LAST. I think the main problem you're experiencing here is that you've got too many USB devices installed; see this previous post for more information about how USB works, and how it is possible to overload the USB bus:

http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/936231-solved-all-usb-devices-stopped.html

Unfortunately, I'll be leaving town for the next several days; I'm supposed to be on vacation NOW, but got tied up with other things. I'll be gone until August 8th or 9th; the vacation got cut from two weeks to less than one, but I can't complain, five days on a motorcycle beats four days, or anything less than that.

Hopefully, I've given you enough information to help you figure this out. If you strip the system, get it working, then only add one device to it at a time, you might be able to get your system working again without too many headaches. You'll probably have to stop trying to boot the system with so many USB devices installed (the printer will be the biggest problem to deal with), but at least you should be able to get the system working again.

I will check for a reply to this right up until the moment I leave town tomorrow (Wednesday); in the meantime, good luck with this. Strip the system down to see if it will boot without all of those parasitic USB devices installed, and we'll work from there.

6. aliasme

aliasme

One more previous thread I'd like you to read, which more closely resembles your problem:

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/936256-flash-drive-quits-when-usb.html

For some reason, I posted a link about USB devices not working because of a motherboard problem; this is the one I specifically want you to read, so you'll understand some of the drawbacks to installing several devices on the USB bus. USB 2.0 devices work much faster than the original USB 1.0 / 1.1 hardware, which makes this problem WORSE, because they consume even more bandwidth than the first generation hardware did.

7. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

Aliasme has given you good advice on how to start with the diagnostics. Basic point is to get the system to where it will post, if that is possible. You can also disconnect the hard drive, if needed. The system will then post to the point where it can't find an OS to load.

I have to say that an "audible pop" is a really, really bad sign, and it is certainly possible that you've had multiple failures as a result.

Although I, too, frequently take multi-day motorcycle trips, I will be around for the next several days and can help you as required.

8. aliasme

aliasme

Thanks jiml8; I was just about to log out when I saw that you had replied, and I'm sure iamchar will appreciate your help and advice.

iamchar, jiml8 is very knowledgeable, and I'm sure that he can help you to resolve this. No need for you to wait for my return; I've read his advice for several years now, and I have no doubt that you're in good hands.

In the meantime, I'm really going to enjoy being away from monitors and keyboards for a few days. Out in the elements, with my motorcycle singing to me as we hit the backroads and avoid the interstates! I have at least two systems running 24/7, so this will also be a "vacation" for my home network. Almost thirty years on the street and track, with dirt riding for five years before that; I've been counting the minutes, waiting for the chance to make this trip and blow the digital cobwebs out of my brain.

Keep punching; I'll stop by when I get back, sometime this weekend.

9. iamchar

iamchar Thread Starter

ok, we re-installed the original mobo, and the hd
    i left everything else off i also did not connect the usb or the audio outlet for the front of the computer,

original configuration,

wireless card, and external hard drive are usb

the 4 usb slots i added are p&p with a card via the empty slots on the back of the pc

do i need to connect the power switch to the mobo?

thanks for all the help

10. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

You don't have to connect the power switch to the mobo; you can just jumper the pins on the mobo if you want to in order to start the system.

See if it will POST.

11. 2000wolf

2000wolf Banned

yup, just do that!

12. iamchar

iamchar Thread Starter

i don't understand the jumper part, here is what i have now

Power Supply is connected to Motherboard and hard drive
    Motherboard is connected to hard drive and the cooling fan for the motherboard

that is all that is connected right now
    can't get it to do anything this way or with what i think is the switch wires connected where i think they go

it's been awhile since the original was disassembled and i'm not sure which wires from the front of the pc are for the switch

the new mobo came with diagrams(y)
    i can't find a diagram or picture of how to wire the original mobo(n)
    i have been taking pictures (wish i would have done that before i started all this) if i'm not making myself clear i can send them:eek:

i'm replacing this pc with a laptop this weekend, but i still need this one, i would have taken it to the "shop" but want to learn how to do this for myself. i figure if my son and step son can make thier own from scratch, i should know enough about the hardware portion of my computer to hold a decent conversation with them.

anyway, i knew i was "overloading" the pc with all the add on's even tho several people told me it would be fine, i was putting off the upgrade on the ps and wasn't sure about the mobo. guess the computer decided for me.

13. iamchar

iamchar Thread Starter

now that is a good thing to know, i thought when i added the "usb card" and it added 4 permanent usb outlets instead of an external "hub" with 4 usb outlets that was a good thing. i asked a few people if i was adding to much to the pc they all said it was fine. guess they figured if i wasn't "using" everything i could connect at all times it would be ok.

14. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

Well you need to either figure out and connect your power on button, or you can momentarily jumper pins on the power supply to turn the system on.

Look at this page and this page. Figure out which connector you have. Once you've determined that, if you have the former connector (20 pin) then momentarily jumper Pin 14 to Pin 15 (use a paper clip or some such) to start the system. If you have the latter connector (24 pin), jumper Pin16 to Pin 17 to start the supply.

Note that if you jumper this wrong, you can damage the PS and perhaps the motherboard and processor. So make sure you know what you are doing. If you can't figure it out, then you'll have to figure out where the power button connects to the mobo.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/940147

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice