1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC Will not boot to Bios - LONG BEEP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by modotcom, Jul 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. modotcom

modotcom Thread Starter

I need some help!! My pc will power up but will not POST. The fan comes on and then I get a long beep (4 sec) followed by a pause (2 sec) then it repeats that continously and nothing appears on the monitor. This problem just started out of the blue - I was using a program (MediaShout) and the program froze up - so when I rebooted - this started. Nothing will display on the screen. I checked with Phoenix Bios - and there was no beep code that matched. Some other forums said it might be a memory error - I reseated the memory and still get the problem. HELP!!!

Here is what I have:

ABIT BD7II-RAID MOBO
    PHOENIX D686 BIOS
    PENT 4 CPU
    DDR 266 RAM 512 MB (2)
    STARLOGIC 300W POWER SUPPLY
    VISIONTEK NV996.0 VIDEO CARD
    MAXTOR D740X-6L HARD DRIVE

2. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

Try removing and reseating your video card, or try a different card if you have one (anything at all - like an old PCI card or the motherboard's onboard video if applicable).

Might be an idea to go through the whole system and disconnect / reconnect all of the major components, data and power cables to eliminate the obvious stuff.

Then you need to start trying any spare (good condition and compatible) hardware you have like keyboard, power supply etc.

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

Sounds like video card quit, do you have another to try?

4. modotcom

modotcom Thread Starter

Ok - I checked the video card and it works good. All the cables look good as well.

So......any other suggestions? When I power up - all it will do is beep like I described and nothing comes to the screen.

Thanks!

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Those beeps are always ram or video so if you are convinced video is OK, ram is next.

6. dobbelina

dobbelina

Yep, I agree.
    Since you got 2 ram modules, remove and only use one at a time.
    Still beepedy boop ?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482276

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice