1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC will not boot when hard drive cables plugged in

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by karlosio, Mar 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. karlosio

karlosio Thread Starter

My PC recently decided to stop booting after the POST screen so I stripped out all of the components out of it so all that was left connected were the CPU and the power supply. I turned it on, and it beeped a few times asking for memory which was fine, so i added the memory, turned it on again and it beeped once, everything fine.

Then I added my graphics card, again it beeped once saying everything is fine and it posts ok asking for a hard drive but when I try adding the hard drive which is an IDE drive with an IDE slot on the motherboard (its a older type of board) and start it, it beeps constantly, fast constant beeps and hangs on the detection of a hard drive after it posts and sometimes even the cpu fan stops spinning (to which i turn it off immediately). It does this even if I have just the ide ribbon cable just attached to the motherboards ide slot without the hard drive connected to it, and it also does this on the secondary ide slot i have on my motherboard. When I remove the cable the beeping stops. I dont think it could be a problem with the power supply as I have tried the power supply in another machine I have (which is a lot slower :( ) and it works fine.

Is my motherboard dead or is there a way to fix this?
    Motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-8I865GME-775-RH

Thanks in advance

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Are you using a 80 conductor (UDMA) cable on a standard IDE board??

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If it does it with just the IDE cable connected then maybe the cable is no good. Have you tried a new 80 wired IDE cable?

4. karlosio

karlosio Thread Starter

Yeah its a standard IDE (UDMA) cable for my older type hard drive and board (the board has 2 IDE, primary and secondary, the motherboard was bought about 2006) I have a number of these cables, given to me by a friend for spare parts etc, all of which do not work on this motherboard, however they do work on my other (older) machine without any problem.

Every time I plug one in, it beeps like crazy at me and doesn't stop, but when I remove it, it beeps once as normal. Could it be a short?

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yes, it could be a short. Strip the system and pull the motherboard out of the case and then connect only the bare minimum and see what it does. Also not sure if this will help but you could try clearing the CMOS via the jumper.

6. karlosio

karlosio Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, it states in the manual for the board "To clear CMOS, temporarily short pins 1-2. To prevent improper use of this header, we do not include a jumper on it." How would I short it temporarily? Would by removing the battery for a while be an alternative? I have a jumper from an old hard drive I have if that could work? Jusr a random guess...

Also you say to remove the board from the case and try it out. What would I need to sit it on? Would a wooden table be fine? I dont have any kind of anti-static bag. Also how would I power it on to test if it works when outside the case?

Sorry I've never done any of this stuff before.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Use any metal object like a screw driver to short the two pins - just hold the screwdriver against both pins and that does the same thing.

As for the surface, just make sure its non conductive and does hold any static charge. Wooden take is OK so is cardboard - just be careful as there are sharp solder pints on the back of the board that will scratch the table.

8. karlosio

karlosio Thread Starter

Ive taken your advice, applied a screwdriver to the pins to clear the CMOS, turned the power on and it now recognizes the hard drive and boots up successfully and running (so far so good) without problem :D

Jeez if I thought of trying that sooner it would have saved me weeks of headache lol.

Thanks a LOT for your help :D

9. karlosio

karlosio Thread Starter

Well I thought I fixed it until I turned it back on today, it does boot up fine but the cpu fan has stopped spinning for a couple of seconds on boot up as ive set the CPU fan fail alarm in the BIOS. It then manages to stay on but im hearing a very slight groaning kinda sound coming from the PC (speeding up/slowing down), sounds like the CPU fan but I cannot determine it. It'll work fine under light load (internet browsing etc) but if i try loading Adobe After Effects which can be a quite intensive, resource hungry app, the PC shuts down completely and I couldn't power it back on until I switched it off at the mains and back on again. Could it be that there is not enough juice going to the motherboard / cpu fan from the power supply?

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  11. karlosio

karlosio Thread Starter

The readout of the hwinfo programs sensors:

Temperature 3 Value: 28C Min: 28C Max: 30C
    Vcore Value: 1.264V Min: 1.232V Max: 1.280V
    Vccp2 Value: 2.624V Min: 2.576V Max: 2.624V
    +3.3V Value: 3.248V Min: 3.216V Max: 3.248V
    +5V Value: 4.973V Min: 4.973V Max: 5.000V
    +12V Value: 11.840V Min: 11.712V Max: 11.840V
    VIN5 Value: 2.800V Min: 1.152V Max: 3.408V
    VIN6 Value: 2.960V Min: 1.152V Max: 3.408V
    VBAT Value: 2.992V Min: 2.992V Max: 2.992V
    Chassis Value: 2250 RPM Min: 1939 RPM Max: 2280 RPM

S.M.A.R.T.
    HDS772580VLAT20 Value: 33C Min: 33C Max: 34C

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I wonder what the VIN5 & 6 are. The voltages do seem to fluctuate a bit except on those two which really move around.

What about the temps?

Can you post a screenshot of HW Monitor, it'd be easier that way.

13. karlosio

karlosio Thread Starter

Attached a screenshot on my current hwinfo readings: (y)

the cpu temp is reading on average 35C in the BIOS. Ive just recently had a couple of random restarts and also have it switch off again completely on me. Once on boot. :(

Appreciating your help Triple6

Attached Files:

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Could be a PSU issue. Do you have access to another one to swap in?

15. karlosio

karlosio Thread Starter

Im afraid I dont :( however the same power supply does work in my other older machine when i swap it into that, which im finding weird :confused:

Do you think it would be worth investing in another PSU?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/912530

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice