1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC will not operate, power button not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Aj2, Aug 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Aj2

Aj2 Thread Starter

I have Dell XPS 420. My daughter was getting ready to use it last week and saw an amber colored light on the pc's power button, when she pushed the power button to turn on the pc it blinked off and it has not worked since. What can be the issue here?

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If I recall correctly, the Dell XPS 420 desktop is a very old model which originally came with Windows XP or Windows Vista 32-bit.

Considering how old it is, it's my guess there's an issue with its power supply unit or some other hardware.

----------------------------------------------------------------

3. Aj2

Aj2 Thread Starter

I was considering taking it too the Geek Squad to see if it was something that could be easily repaired before looking to get a new PC.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The "Best Buy" Geek Squad may charge you more than what that desktop is worth to troubleshoot it.
    And if the power supply unit or some other piece of hardware needs to be replaced, that may also cost more than what that desktop is worth.
    Good luck.

---------------------------------------------------------------

5. replay

replay

If u really want to save the dell
    Just replace the power supply
    It’s not hard and it looks like in the pics it’s a regular atx psu
    Can pic up a decent corsair for 20 bucks when they go on sale
    Newegg.com

6. lynx1021

lynx1021

Does it still have the amber light on the power button? Is it blinking? A
    Blinking amber power button is usually either a power supply problem or possibly a motherboard issue.
    If you use a power strip or surge protector, remove those. With the PC off and unplugged, press/hold power button for ~15 sec. Reconnect PC directly to the wall outlet and see if it boots now.
    I F THE POWER LIGHT FLASHES AMBER AND THEN GOES OFF — It can be an internal power problem.
    • Ensure that the processor power cable is securely connected to the system board
    power connector (12VPOWER). (See "System Board Components" on page 103 of manual) http://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-pro..._xps_desktop/xps-420_owner's manual_en-us.pdf
    My friend had a refurbished Dell 780 and it had a solid amber light, ended up being the motherboard went bad but I was able to replace it for $35.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214956

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice