1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC will not post

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Third_n00b, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Third_n00b

Third_n00b Thread Starter

Hi guys, heres my problem:

My comp (basic specs below) will not post. The power light on the motherboard is on and when the power button is pressed all the fans spin up as normal, however instead of the usual short beep at post it gives one continuos tone.

I have checked the beep codes at ASUS's site but there is no listing for one continuos beep that never stops.

I've also tried removing each of the gfx cards to see if one of them is the problem, and each of the dimms with no change.

I did notice that the heatsinks on the cpu and gpu coolers are pretty dusty so i think my first step will be to get a can of air and take the whole thing to bits for a good clean. I'm in the habit of keeping an eye on the cpu and gpu temps even while i'm gaming and i've never seen them go above 60 though.

Does anyone know if the continuos tone could be because the dust is interfering with the rpm of the fans perhaps? Or does anyone have any other ideas as to what the beep might indicate?

Any help much appreciated :)

ASUS P5n-t Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    4gb DDR2 800MHz
    2x Nvidia 8800GT

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Is the beep from the video card by chance?

What is the make and model of your power supply? Have you tried another power supply.

3. Third_n00b

Nah the beeps from the MB speaker. I've heard the noises those GTs make, definitely more of a whine than a beep XD

It's a Thermaltake 700w Modular PSU, the only other PSU i have lying around is only 150w so i doubt it'd cut it as a tester, plus it doesn't have the PCI-e power lead. :(

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Have you cleared the CMOS via the jumper?

5. Third_n00b

Sorry for the delay, had to take my girlfriend to hospital -_-

Anyway, cleared CMOS, no joy.

6. peck1234

peck1234

Please check your ram modules and remove one of them at a time, then try to post.

7. Third_n00b

Done, still not posting with the same continuos beep. Got a new stick in the post just in case it is that though, should arrive in the next few days.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I would suggest taking the system down to one video card for the testing, and try each one separately. Also I'd try to get you hands on another power supply to swap in as well.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921043

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice