1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC will not power off

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Roach09, Feb 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Roach09

Roach09 Thread Starter

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe AMD Xp 3200+ Bios version 1008, Gforce 4 4800 video card,400W power supply, 1 gb of pc3200 ram Windows Xp service pak 2. All drivers are up to date to include all patches for service pak 2.

When I plug in the power chord all 4 case fans, processor fan and the lights on my 2 cd burners come on, I can then hit the power switch and the pc boots up normally no errors or anything. Once logged in it runs fine. No problems what so ever. When I click start shutdown it shuts down and you can hear the power go off but the 4 case fans, processor fan and the lights on the cd burners stay on.

I have taken everything out of the case, cleaned it all up and re assembled from scratch. Still having the same problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your time.

2. 911

Check your power option settings. XP may be a little different than ME, but it should be similar.

Click Start > Settings > Control Panel and select Power Options.
    Click the "Advanced" tab.
    The setting in the box "When I press the power button..." should be 'Power Off', and not 'Standby'.

You may want to click around the other tabs to see if everything is what it to be.

3. Roach09

Roach09 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. In the power options it is set to shut down. Im starting to think its the motherboard or power supply, but like I said it runs perfectly when Im using it. I just got done reinstalling XP, all drivers and updates and its still doing it. It happens with SP1, SP2 no hardware installed all hardware installed.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    So the screen is blank?

You're right in thinking it's a motherboard or power supply problem. The easiest part to test or swap out is the powersupply. Borrow one if you can as a test. If it still does it then its the motherboard at which point you can play around with the BIOS settings and some jumpers on the motherbaord for keyboard/mouse power-on(top corner I think). Make sure your BIOS is up-to-date.

5. Roach09

Roach09 Thread Starter

Thanks Triple6,

Tried a different power supply, that did not make a difference also pulled the motherboard out of the case and tried it. Oh well gives me an excuse to build a new system. Thanks for your input.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328943

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice