1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC will not shut down or wake from sleep

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Amath, Jul 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Amath

Amath Thread Starter

I have a gateway dx4860 i5 PC. I just installed a new ssd, and did a fresh install of windows 10. It worked, but now my computer will not shutdown properly. Upon clicking start -> shutdown, the monitor turns off but the led and fans continue to run (after 30 minutes I force shut off by holding the power button). Additionally, if I try to sleep the computer, it will do the same thing and not wake up upon mouse/keyboard press.

So far, I have
    1. Disabled fast start up
    2. Cmd -> powercfg -h off
    3. Disabled Intel IMEI due to suggested online solution

Does anyone know how to fix this issue

2. Jack1000

Jack1000

Some steps to try here:

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/windows-10-wont-wake-sleep-keyboard-mouse/

Reader View will also give you more options in your browser if you have an Ad Blocker running. I would also re-enable Fast Start Up. (You can disable Ad-Blocker for this site also if you want to read the whole article.)

Still having problems? I would clear History, Cache, from all web browsers. Cookies too if you don't mind re-entering your user name and passwords for sites.

Next go to Drive C- Right click/Properties, Run Disk Clean-Up. Also check Delete System Files.This may take a while. Reboot when this is done.

Use the built-in Windows 10 Troubleshooter to help solve this issue. I would run Windows Update Troubleshooter. Don't do the Download and Install Now for Build 1903 if offered. Just the regular Troubleshooter here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028430/windows-10-use-a-fix-it-tool

Check for Windows Updates after running the Troubleshooter for Windows Update.

Run System File Checker. Steps are here. You will need to run this in Administrator Mode.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

Jack

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  3. Amath

Amath Thread Starter

Hello,

1. Tried setting the wake from sleep - it was already enabled. I believe its more of an issue that the computer doesn't actually go to sleep - the fans and led keep running while the display turns off.

2. I cleared all cache, cookies etc.

3. Ran the disk clean up and the delete system files. Rebooted, and tried to shut down - still hanging on shut down.

4. I ran the trouble shooter for power options, and no issue was found.

5. I ran the system file checker in administrator mode. After completing, I rebooted and tried to shut down with no success.

6. I re-enabled fast-startup, but again still not working

Thanks for you help. Im really not sure where the issue is or why its doing this.

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Driver problems can cause those symptoms so check in Device Manager for any ! or ? characters and/or any Unknown Devices.

5. Amath

Amath Thread Starter

I checked, no ! or ? characters and no unknown devices. I am not really sure what else to try, have looked at online forums but all the suggestions have not worked so far. Thanks for you help so far.

6. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
  7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1229964

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice