1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC will not shut down

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Feral Geek, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Feral Geek

Feral Geek Thread Starter

I just installed Windows XP Pro and when I shut down the PC it appears to shut down but the PC is still running after the OS has shut down. The PC previously had Windows 95 installed and did the same thing. I reformatted the drive (NTFS) and did a clean install of Windows XP Pro hoping it was and OS problem but the PC continues to stay on after the OS has shut down. The PC hardware meets all the minimum requirements for the OS. I have to use the power button to power down the PC. Any suggestions on what may be the problem? Thanks in advance for any help.
    Feral Geek

2. 4steve44

4steve44

Please gives us the systems specs. OS, memory, ram, Hard drive and so on :)

3. Feral Geek

Windows XP Professional with Pentium II MMX - 300MHz; 4GB Hard Drive; 64 MB of Ram. As stated in my previous thread, this PC did the same thing with Windows 95 OS. Hope this helps.

4. 4steve44

4steve44

Ok here's the deal. Your system is so old that it does not have a auto shutdown feature no matter what OS you are running. In addition your sytem specs are the bare minimum that XP will run on which means that XP will not function very well. Accually I am quite surprised that it works at all. :eek: But anyway you will have to power down yourself. :)

5. Feral Geek

Thanks for the info 4steve44. I thought it might be the the Windows Shutdown sound file being corrupt but I turned off the shutdown sound and it still will not shut down. I am doing this for a friend I used to work for who runs a non-profit and wanted a newer OS on the PC. It will not be used for much other than Word Processing so it actually runs OK, a little slow by todays standards but for this purpose it works fine. Thanks for your input.
    Feral Geek

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273719

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice