1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved PC will not shutdown

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by lafnirvana, May 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lafnirvana

lafnirvana Thread Starter

The last three times I tried to shutdown my PC, it has gotten stuck on the last screen, the one that shows "shutting down" on the screen. One time I tried waiting a half hour to see if my PC would finish the shutdown, but it just kept saying "shutting down". I've had to resort to unplugging my PC to shut it off. It works but I'm concerned over the long run that could cause problems.

Any suggestions on what might be happening would be appreciated. Note-I have Windows 7 which is why I chose this particular help section.

2. Agye

Agye

can we get your pc info pls? and one thing does it take long too when you restart and when you do, do you get any error message concerning the force shutdown?

3. lafnirvana

HP CQ5700F with Windows 7 home premium

4. Agye

Agye

I will check my programs working at the background when shutting down cuz mostly those are the first culprit when it come to long shutdown. does it give you the option of programs that need to be closed before shutdown?

5. lafnirvana

yes it asks if I want to close out programs running to speed up shutdown.

6. Agye

Agye

so which program are those? do you remember any of the program that you installed prior to your issue that windows can't shut it down which is part of the listed program it?

7. Agye

Agye

am off now but if that's the case you have to uninstall those programs to see if it works or else you have to use an advance program to monitor your shutdown process to see the program causing you frustration or better still you have to do it the try and error way where you have to date back when it started and check the programs that you installed prior to your issue by comparing the dates on control. I had this issue before and I spent almost a day trying to figure it out and I realize it was my backup system that was still backing up when am shutting down

8. lafnirvana

I don"t remember because I close everything I can think of before shutting down. So when it asks, I just click yes. And the last time I shutdown the PC, yesterday, it didn't ask me if I wanted to close any programs. It just went into normal shutdown sequence which led to another endless "shutting down".

9. Agye

Agye

check your harddrive activity light if is very busy when the system is shutting down for a long time then is definitely a program in the background if not let know us so we can try step 2(that what I know maybe the guru's here have different suggestion)

10. Agye

Agye

try my suggestions if it doesn't work let us know

11. donetao

donetao Banned

12. droidmaverick

droidmaverick

Before shutdown your PC close and save all your programs. Try to check task manager see and any background software's running. If still this problem prolong it has to be wrong with the software 's installed . It might be bug from the software itself Try to uninstall the latest the software you installed

13. lafnirvana

So I tried something different. When the shutdown program gave me the option to force shutdown or cancel program I did nothing. I let my PC just close out any programs all by itself. And that solved the problem. My PC did shut down successfully. Although I still don't know what programs are being closed out because when I checked with task manager as suggested there were no programs listed as running.

Thanks to everyone who replied and tried to help.

14. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Does the computer have an Intel or AMD chip?
    My husband and I own Acer netbooks. His has an AMD chip and mine has an Intel chip. His says wait till programs close; mine never does that. I think it has something to do with his chip and graphics.

15. donetao

donetao Banned

I have a Toshiba Satellite with AMD. I seldom see "Wait till programs close", but I have seen that message before; but not often!! If I have Skype running, I'll get that message. Some times your security could be running or windows could be up dating????

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148674

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice