1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC will not start after cleaning

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gary964, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gary964

Gary964 Thread Starter

Hi all.
    This morning I removed the cover from my PC. a Philips Freevents LS1600, to blow out some dust & now it will not start. It is receiving power (the displays panel shows the clock & the symbol that suggests the PC is in sleep mode) and when I press the start button it tries to power up but very quickly dies (after about only a second) . Although the display panel contiues to show the clock & sleep symbol it now will not respond at all to the start button unless I unplug it from the mains, leave for a few seconds then plug it back in. Then the same thing happens all over again when I try to start it. Logically it would seem that I have probably disturbed someting inside, although I did not directly touch any components. Anyone got any suggestions or is this one for a professional technician to look at?

2. faiz

faiz

Are you cleaning the pc for the first time ?
    Check all the external connectors first, if all ok..

please get an antistatic strap, put it on and then open the lid, you just have to check that all the connectors are securely tight and nothing is loose.

try this first !

3. Redbackbytes

Redbackbytes

Yeah it could be a number of things. Faiz is on the right track.

What did you use to blow it out? Can of air, compressor? Computers do not like any moisture. If you tilt the can of air the wrong way you blow out that cold wet co2.

If your fan on the mother board spinning?

4. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

In addition to the above.

Remove Ram..Video cards from their slots

Plug in the RAM [one stick at a time].
    Also try different slots.
    Ensure it is seated correctly.
    Reseat Video card.

Check Hard drive and Motherboard connections [IDE]
    Take them off and reseat them.

Check that the processor fan rotate.

Turn on and listen for a beep.

A properly working computer should beep once while booting, and the lights on the keyboard should flash while booting.

5. Gary964

Gary964 Thread Starter

Hi guys,

thanks for your prompt replies & suggestions. I have blown dust out of this PC before. I use an old hairdryer that just blows cool air so don't think moisture can be an issue. I will venture back inside & check all the obvious connections & let you know.

Thks again

6. Gary964

Gary964 Thread Starter

Update. Before taking the side off to check all connections were tight as suggested I tried to restart the PC & hey presto, she burst into life. However after running for an hour or so & shutting down it then refused to start again. I unplugged from mains , left for an hour then plugged back in & tried again, PC started. Does this sound like an overheating problem, possible a fan not working at all or inadequately. Is it worth me powering up with the side off to visually check fan operation. Does the PC have a thermal cut out that is stopping restarting until components have cooled? Appreciate your thoughts.

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    The fact that you leave it off for an hour then it restarts normally, sounds more like a Power Supply problem than an overheating problem. Quick check if you have access to one is to donnect a known good power supply, and give it a go. If it corrects the problem then you have your answer.

8. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    As an added note to blues_harp28's post, you will only hear a beep if the system has a speaker integrated on the motherboard or has one attached to the proper motherboard header (usually the Front Panel switch header). seems many newer motherboards no longer have a speaker integrated on the motherboard.

9. Gary964

Gary964 Thread Starter

Update. Thanks for all your suggestions. As far as I can tell everything easily accessible inside the case is seated & connected firmly. I have tried the PC on different power supplies & problem still exists. A friend suggested booting & leaving it running in BIOS mode to see if it still shut down. It did & he reckons that means it’s definitely overheating but can’t say why. Anyway I fortunately have an extended warranty agreement so I have asked for a technician to come & look at it. I will post after his visit on May 7 to inform those who have tried to help how this problem is resolved. Thanks again for your help.

10. faiz

faiz

Could you be more specific, which were the power supplies that you tested it with !

Pardon me , by power supplies you do mean different psu unit, right !

11. Gary964

Gary964 Thread Starter

Hi Faiz. You are correct in your thinking, I have only just tried using another power outlet, not another PCU. The computer does not have a PCU built into the power lead, it is inside the case. The technician I spoke with said that he is bringing a new part with him. U think it's likely this is what he is going to fit?

12. faiz

faiz

Is this the model that you have or something close

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/philips-freeline-entertainment-pcs/

Not too familiar with this form factor, but pls bear in mind that a quality power supply, will really help you a lot.

Kindly do a search on compusa, circuit city etc for prices of power supplies, so that you can get a general idea when the technician comes.

This is a general image of a psu just a bunch of odd cables coming out of a single box. All these cables get plugged into various points on the motherboard.

Attached Files:

13. Gary964

Gary964 Thread Starter

Thks mate. appreciate your help

14. Gary964

Gary964 Thread Starter

Finally got my PC back last week from Techguys. They have replaced the power supply unit & all fine now. Thks to all those who offered help, much appreciated.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919535

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice