1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

pc will not switch off

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by volpi, Sep 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. volpi

volpi Thread Starter

Hi I have been overstepping my ability on a friends computer. trying to upgrade it a little. just fitted a secondhand graphics card, hercules 64mb pci 4000xt. downloaded drivers from hercules website. works fine but now the computer shutsdown but wont switch off.
    pc running winME. qdi winnex motherboard celeron 500 processor 190ram soundblaster pci128 sound card. looked on hercules web site cant find much help and browsed around the web. any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Would also be gratefull if anybody takes the time to reply they could use as simple language as poss. Thanks

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    There are a few Windows ME updates that deal with shutdown issues, I think they are under Recommended Updates, but get all the critical updates.

What happens when you do try and shutdown?

3. volpi

volpi Thread Starter

Hi thanks for such a quick reply.

When i shut down everything on screen follows normally, the screen goes blank but the actual computer keeps on going, or sounds as if. i did see a suggestion on one site that advised to hold in button on case for a few seconds and this then does switch everything off. on start up scandisk wants to run because of improper shutdown.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    And this only started after installing the new card?

If so make sure there are no remnents of the old driver. Go to Add/remove Programs and check to see the old driver is uninstalled. then boot the computer into Safe Mode and go to Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager and check to see that only the new video card is listed.

You should also update your motherboard chipset drivers. In Device Manager go to System and see what chipset manufcturer your motherboard uses - ie Intel, VIA, ALI, SIS, etc.

5. volpi

volpi Thread Starter

i have just downloaded all the updates. the computer restarted fine when i pressed ok to restart in conection with updates but still would not switch offafter updates installed. will try as above. motherboard drivers are Award and the previous graphic drivers were onboard. do you think there will be any problems i should look out for?
    Yes this only started after fitting the new card.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Award is a BIOS chip manufacturer only. The Chipset will be by another company.

Is the onboard fully disabled in the BIOS or via a jumper? Does it still show up in Device Manager?

7. volpi

volpi Thread Starter

Sorry about that i think i read on the on-line motherboard manual that it had an intel chipset. the onboard graphics show on the device manager. device manager shows intel 8210 chipset graphic controller. looked in bios cannot find the info? is it called something technical

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You will want to disable the onboard video - right now it is using system of your system RAM that you will want back. It also using resources that can be freed for other devices. Check the manual on how to disable the onboard Video. I would download the manual but I'm on dial-up and its just gonna take too long. You may need to change the shared video size to o MB or Disable if you don't have a VGA Primary Adaptor option in the BIOS.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272170

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice