PC will only boot from windows cd (XP h e)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

redbakk

Hello. I am finding i can only boot my pc from the windows cd instead of the normal way.(on the black start screen which details hard drives etc . i get the error message _ cannot load OS). This is still occurring after doing two re-installations of windows. I've googled to find some answers , but i struggle to use the diagonistic tools to pinpoint the problem.Any ideas where i should start ?? :confused: ....other than this , pc runs fine when up and going .....[ OS xp home ed. , 2 xHD seagate 60 gig. ,WD 80 gig. , nvidia 7800 gt graphics. Imation DVD /rw , ASUS cd/rw.]

which drive are you trying to install to first off
is the hard drive a serial ata drive ?
you may need to install storage controller / raid controller drivers during XP install ( when prompted press F6 key )

redbakk

..how do i know if my drive is a serial ATA drive ?.. all i know is its an older drive ( my C: drive ).My pc is a new machine ( asus a8n SLI motherboard), with my old harddrives re-used.I suspect the problem is in here (conflicting with the new motherboard connections)...is this related to the serial ATA problem ?

are they physically connected with larger IDE cable or a thin cable ?

If they are thicker cable
disconnect all your harddrives, except one ( the one you want to install the OS to) and then try to install XP and see if that works for ya.

after you get it installed properly, then go on and hook up the other harddrives
goodluck
Swiper

awalker0878

Removed by request
check the bios (typically hit F2 or del) make sure the bootdrive is selected 1st in boot priorty

here's another question:

did you move your harddrives from old to new computer and attempt to just run it from there??

redbakk

..my pc was custom-built at pc shop. i asked them to retain the hard-drives(from my old system) & install them in my new machine.

awalker0878

Removed by request
each hardrive has a seperate mbr typically the bios only checks one harddrive to see if it is bootable.

CHECK THE BIOS TO MAKE SURE THE RIGHT ONE IS SELECTED

redbakk

i took it for granted that i would only have to plug it in at home , and just use it. .. wouldn't t he techies realise they were older drives and therefore correct things ??

so the problem you seem to be actually having is trying to run your old windows on your new machine..........

chances are your old drives were not set up on your new system as it was with your old system
primary
secondary
master / slave

the bootup process if not locating the correct harddrive to boot off of.

Even if you did find the correct harddrive to boot off of, that you originally had; when you try to boot up with windows xp ( acpi ) you will just get a " blue screen of death " as its trying to boot up because it now has entirely new hardware and your OS can not redetect them properly like old 98/me could do.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online