1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC/ WIN 7 64bit / i7 running Chrome is slow - no viruses

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by bsacco, Oct 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bsacco

bsacco Thread Starter

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Get rid of Chrome for starters, as it is a resource hogger!

3. bsacco

bsacco Thread Starter

Are you offerring a solution by recommending another browser?

Or, are just interested in yelling at me in a public forum so that everyone here thinks I’m a dumb-ass for running Chrone.

Please advise me on your intent.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Capture.JPG

32 GB(8 GB X 4) DDR3-1600 RAM

--------------------------------------------------------------

With these specs, your computer definitely should NOT be running slow.

If it is running slow, a few things that come to mind are:
    1. Too many running processes in the startup and services lists
    2. An infestation of malware, spyware, viruses, etc.
    3. The primary hard drive too full
    4. The interior of the case very dusty

---------------------------------------------------------------

5. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    I have seen several machines with improve performance after removing Chrome.

Chrome must call home all time even when not being used as the browser. It needs to be updated all the time to keep track of your usage so it can search and provide faster loading websites.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    David:
    I don't like and will never use the Google Chrome browser, so I'm not familiar with any of its issues.
    If it's that much of a resource hog and has privacy issues, that encourages me even more to avoid it.

----------------------------------------------------------------

7. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Is this slowdown recent?
    Note: I don't run Chrome and I also ran ESET at one time on a Windows computer but it slowed it down so I removed it. I do have Chrome on my three android devices but I've installed other browsers. I also have ESET on my three android devices and have suffered no slow down on them as I had in Windows.

Open Task manager, note the CPU usage. What process (ignore system idle) is using the most % of your CPU?

What things are running in your startup tab of msconfig? Some programs insist on running but there is no need to have them running.

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    That's my first guess - too many running processes in the startup list and services list.

---------------------------------------------------------------

9. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    We do not run Chrome either, the slow downs is beyond user control and the HIGH resources get way out of hand.

10. bsacco

bsacco Thread Starter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Largest % of Processes in Win task manager = Chrome

running in task mang =
    Realtek HD Audio Manager
    HD Audio Background Process
    ESET Security
    CCleaner
    Dropbox
    Microsoft OneNote
    Snagit

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    There's no need for CCleaner and Dropbox and OneNote and SnagIt to run in the background all the time.
    They can be manually started when needed.

--------------------------------------------------------------

12. lunarlander

lunarlander

If you want to look further into programs that startup on their own, try MS SysInternals Autoruns, it lists many autostart locations on the PC and the registry. Take care not to disable any drivers as some will make Windows 10 not start right.

13. tecknurd

tecknurd

Through several years of using web browsers, the slowness is caused by profile being too big for the storage device to access and extensions. Clear the cache and test. Turn off extensions and test. If you have done that and it is still slow, create a new profile for your web browser and test. If you use the profile from several versions ago and haven't created a new profile, the old profile can cause problems. Running multiple ad blockers is no, no. Use one ad blocker. Try disabling your anti-virus and test carefully. I have used Bitdefender and it has caused slowdowns, so I'm back to MS Security Essentials. I have found that I have no problems with MS Security Essentials.

On my setup, I install Firefox, Chrome, and Opera. I like variety. All three uses the same amount of resources. I use Opera for my daily web browser at this time. I was using Firefox. Before that Chrome. The reasons why I move from one web browser to the next is features that one web browser has out of the box without using extensions. Opera's external video window feature that I haven't seen with Chrome and Firefox. For compatibility, I always use Firefox. I use Chrome for mainly Netflix. Chrome has a lot of options, I suggest going through the options and turn off some and make a better conclusion than it uses more resources.

I suggest change your power settings to performance, but you don't have to do this. Change the time to put your hard drives in standby to never. Change the time to turn off your monitor to something like 5 hours or little more. Any monitor takes at least 60 minutes to be at its best brightness even though it uses a LED backlight. You might want to run pcdecrapifier. Before you do, image your drive. If pcdecrapifier didn't make your computer feel more responsive, then you have outgrown your computer or do a fresh install of Windows. When you have outgrown your computer, buy a new computer or better build your computer.

I have Ivy Bridge and Haswell based computers that became slow with Spectre and Meltdown patches. I run InSpectre from GRC to easily disable the patches. There are security issues disabling these patches, so understand the risks before using InSpectre.

14. bsacco

bsacco Thread Starter

Tecknurd - thx for the note. IF you had to run just one ad blocker extension in Chrome, what one would it be? Can MS Security essentials work in place of ESET Internet security? Just curious what PCdecrapifier would actually do to my PC? My PC is 5 years old but it still is pretty powerful, see below for specs. I mean, i7 4770 @3.40 GHz, 32GB RAM, right? Am I off-base here? Let me know if I'm delusional here thinking my PC should be running fast.

Operating System
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 4770 @ 3.40GHz 29 °C
    Haswell 22nm Technology
    RAM
    32.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 0KWVT8 (CPU 1) 28 °C
    Graphics
    FHX2300 ([email protected])
    DELL 2009W ([email protected])
    1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 7570 (Dell) 43 °C
    Storage
    447GB INTEL SSDSC2BW480A4 SCSI Disk Device (SATA (SSD)) 27 °C
    1863GB Hitachi HUA722020ALA331 SCSI Disk Device (SATA ) 26 °C
    1863GB Hitachi HUA722020ALA331 SCSI Disk Device (SATA ) 33 °C
    931GB Seagate ST1000DM ST1000DM003-1CH1 SCSI Disk Device (SATA ) 24 °C
    Optical Drives
    HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GHA2N SCSI CdRom Device
    Audio
    Line 6 TonePort UX2

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217529

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice