1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved PC won’t boot at all

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Daaki, Feb 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Daaki

Daaki Thread Starter

Hello,

Yesterday I ran into some issues with my computer hardware - in the middle of a LoL game my computer randomly powered off instantly with no warning or anything and would not turn back on. After hours of attempts I realised when I removed the graphics card (Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 1x6pin connector) from my system it would power up on the integrated graphics, the motherboard green light (ASUS Z87-K) is always working also. I thought because the computer wouldn’t power up at all that there was a fault with the power supply (Cooler Master 500W) so I purchased another one (Corsair VS550W) and tried that. Still no power up with the graphics card connected, at first it would work without the graphics card also but after some tampering, replugging and cable managing now is not turning on at all, even WITHOUT my GPU attached with this brand new PSU. I’ve had the PC for just over a year and was advised maybe my old psu had just died but that appears not to be the case. I’ve also tried removing non essential components and booting but still nothing. Maybe there was something I could do in the bios and alter the settings? I did used to run the multi display bios setting which would allow me to use the integrated graphics witn one monitor and the gpu graphics with my main monitor just because I didn’t have two VGA ports (I use VGA because I have two old tv’s instead of dual monitors)

PS: I also realised upon inspection that the fan on my PSU was facing the wrong way, blowing the hot air INTO my graphics card this whole time, could that have accelerated the process of my GPU frying? I did have some odd issues of a crunching sound in my pc followed by the games freezing for a second or two. Maybe I should’ve realised sooner :(

I hope it’s not a graphics card issue as they’re expensive to replace and the gpu is still relatively new, I don’t know how to get a hold of nvidia to enquire about their 3 year gpu warranty as I couldn’t open a support request on their website.

Thanks in advance,
    David

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, the vs series from corsair is the lowest quality unit corsair sells. It is NOT designed nor intended for use with a real video card. Even corsair says as such
    Installing that pw supply did nothing for troubleshooting.

Here is what I would do;
    1 First and foremost, get hold of a pw supply that is actually designed for gaming or other stressful endeavor
    2 Install the quality pw supply
    3 Now test with and without your video card. It may be that your video card failed however no one can tell you until you use parts that are designed for what you are doing with the system

3. Daaki

Daaki Thread Starter

Thanks for the swift reply, my original power supply was the Cooler Master 500W RS-500-PCAP-I3 which lasted a year, what do you think the issue was with this one?

I’ll try order a more efficient power supply for tomorrow and have the one I just purchased returned (hopefully). Do you have any recommendations? My friend uses the same VS550 and has a much more powerful rig than mine and seems to be doing just fine which is why I purchased it :(

Edit: it also didn’t work without the card plugged in, even such a low down psu should be able to do so no?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Without the video card, it should work with a vs type pw supply. There is a very real chance you either had something fail is motherboard, pw supply, etc OR with repeated plugging in/out, something was damaged.
    Since your friend has a system, why not try your video card in his system? That will tell you very quickly if your video card has failed.

Paul23 likes this.
  5. Daaki

Daaki Thread Starter

Unfortunately he lives far from me, probably would be better I pop into a local electronics store when I next can, I assume testing my graphics card would be more of a priority than ordering a stronger power supply, it’s just because my GPU is only a year old, seems unscathed and my pc won’t turn on at all (not just the display) and my motherboard green light works (so is receiving some power) that I assume the issue is the power supply.

6. Paul23

Paul23 Temporarily Banned

First Name:
    Paul
    Excellent idea! I am totally with crjdriver on his advice. I would recommend a Corsair CX series, and I would go at least 650 watt. This should protect you if you decide to upgrade something later. Testing the video card out in someone elses computer is a good idea. I would also power off your PC and press and hold the CMOS button (BIOS) in for 10 seconds (if your motherboard has one) that will reset your BIOS to default. After looking your Motherboard up ....you definitely do have a CMOS button. Have you checked your memory to see if it is good? You can check it with https://www.memtest86.com/ By the way, in my experience having your power supply turned where it is blowing inside your case, will not damage your video card. Lots of people do it because of no filter and or carpet fibers messing up the power supply.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  7. Daaki

Daaki Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply, After finding how my motherboards CMOS button works I realised I had removed the motherboards jumper cap during my replugging (...oops) which is why it was not responding with or without the card. the system now works again without the GPU installed with both my old power supply (returning the VS550) I will order a proper power supply (since my old one needs upgrading anyway) and see if I can get my gpu tested in another system at my local tech shop at some point.

Paul23 likes this.
  8. Sawuwaya

Sawuwaya

Just a thought....

It might behoove you to shop around before purchasing an actual gaming system and also wasting money on off-the-shelf computers and build one you actually want from computer shows by going to a few. They can als test your Nvidia GPU card.

I have had great luck with computer shows over the years...

Also, when building your own machine you can buy a computer case that will last you for several upgrades and put in it what you want instead of off-the-shelf junk.

I like to build my computer with an ASUS board and Nvidia Graphics card... (ASUS makes their own motherboards, fyi)...

Good Luck.

Cheers!

《♤》Sawuwaya / Spirit Wolfe 《♤》

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Daaki likes this.
  9. Daaki

Daaki Thread Starter

So as advised I’ve purchased a better power supply, the Corsair TX650M which was actually the one my friend has slight miscommunication. Feels better but still with the graphics card plugged up no boot :( same flicker of power but no full boot. I guess the last step is to test the graphics card in another system?

Edit: Also what does it mean if when the graphics card is connected to the motherboard but not the power supply, the pc still boots fine (just tells me on the display to connect the PCIe Power Cable)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  10. Paul23

Paul23 Temporarily Banned

First Name:
    Paul
    Your video card has a 6 pin connector. Should be connected to the power supply.

11. Daaki

Daaki Thread Starter

Turns out it was a GPU issue as suspected, sent my graphics card back to EVGA to claim for warranty and a week or two later received another one back in the post which works perfectly fine and I'm back to normal now. Had the GPU for 3 years I guess it just died on me. Probs to do with me using ****** power supplies.

Thanks for all the help!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1205695

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice