1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Pc won’t post, no video- fast fan speeds

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jcrusse, Apr 14, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Jcrusse

Jcrusse Thread Starter

System Details:

MSI H81-M33 board

I7-4790

16gb Ram

Attempting to use on board video which has vga and hdmi

So I recently built my son a Ryzen 2700 system and took his working mobo and processor out and into a new case to replace our older pc . The issue is the system starts but doesn’t post. The processor fan runs hard and the system doesn’t post. So today I decided to do process of elimination.. I went to micro center and bought new ram, new power supply, new processor fan / heat sink, new thermal paste, and a new cheap video card. I came home and built the system .... same issue. I tested each part individually, no post....

I took the processor out, cleaned it with rubbing alcohol and cue tip and used the new paste already on the bottom of the new heat sink I purchased..... same issue, no video. I put the processor in another oem board and did the same process.... no video. I don’t know how, but it has to be a bad i7 processor now, right? Thought and opinions are much needed.....

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Start by doing an out of case build. There are detailed instructions on the guide at the top of the hw forum. Follow the part "You built the system and it will not POST"
    My guess [and it is only a guess at this point] is that either the board is shorting to ground due to incorrect placement of standoffs OR you damaged something while working on the system.
    Processors are actually pretty hard to hurt unless you physically damage it during installation OR overclock/overvolt the processor.

SarahSims likes this.
  3. Jcrusse

Jcrusse Thread Starter

I’ll try that, but the boards I tried were in two separate cases. So that is unlikely. Different cases, ram, power supplies, etc. I see no visible marks on th processor or the pins.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Exactly. Did you check each standoff placement OR did you just install the board without checking the placement of standoffs?

How to properly install a new board in a case;
    1 Remove the IO plate
    2 Place the motherboard in the case. Mark the position where a standoff needs to be installed; use a pencil or sharpie
    3 Remove the board and install standoffs in the positions marked and no where else
    4 Install the IO plate. Place the motherboard on the standoffs and slide into the IO plate. Secure with screws

lynx1021 and SarahSims like this.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1225791

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice