Pc won’t turn on

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Toralennon

Hi, my sons gaming pc won’t turn on, was fine last night no problems at all, try put it on today and nothings happening. I tried a different power cable from my daughters pc but still wouldn’t come on. I know nothing about computers my son is always on his PC and is moaning like mad now he can’t get on it. Please help 🤯

lochlomonder

Colin
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Let's start with the basics: Have you checked to ensure the switch on the power supply unit for the PC is set to the On position and hasn't been moved to Off by mistake? If it's set to On, do you hear anything trying to boot up when you press the power button on the PC, such as any fans spinning?

Toralennon

Yeah made sure it’s plugged in properly and switch is on at the back, nothing happens at all when button is pressed on PC

crjdriver

Are you comfortable working inside the case? If yes, the first thing I would do would be the following;
1 System OFF and pw cord removed from the back of the pw supply
2 Pull the pw connectors from ALL drives; both hd and optical. If you have a M.2 type drive, remove it
3 Reseat ie remove and replace both atx and aux/cpu pw connectors on the motherboard. Be sure they are fully seated
4 Remove ALL ram and blow the slots out with a can of air. Reinstall the ram and be sure it is fully seated
5 Disconnect any usb device ie printer, hub, whatever. Leave the keyboard connected to a rear usb2 port
6 Clear cmos with the clear pins or jumper. Read your motherboard manual for detailed instructions
7 Reseat the video card. Note there is a latch that must be depressed to remove the card. Do not just yank it out; you will break something. Be sure the card is fully seated in the slot
8 Replace the pw cord and attempt to pw ON. If the system will complete POST, then shutdown and start connecting devices one at a time until you find the failed part. If the system will not POST in the above config, then you need to swap parts with known good units; ie motherboard, pw supply, ram, etc

If you are not comfortable working inside the case, best advise is to take the system to a shop. By shop, I mean just that a real shop that does builds, installs networks, etc NOT a chain store.

Just a guess on my part however the most likely part that has failed would be the pw supply. If this system is one from cyberpower or ibuypower, those "Gaming" systems come with a low end motherboard, a low end pw supply, a mid-range processor, and a decent video card along with a case with a LOT of lights. If it is a skytech or alienware, those use better quality parts.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online