1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC Wont Boot After BIOS Update

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jwllvr34, Dec 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jwllvr34

jwllvr34 Thread Starter

I have a custom built desktop and an asrock 970M Pro3 mobo. I have windows 10 and I noticed that today my computer was being really slow. I would open google chrome and when I would look something up it took at least 1 minute to load anything. I have an program called rainmeter and a few other addons for it that told me my cpu was at 100%. Long story short my cpu was running at 100% constantly even when (besides for windows programs) I only had skype open. I looked online and saw people were having the same problem. They said to update the bios and the original creator of the thread would always say something along the lines of "Thanks it worked my pc is back to normal!" So I downloaded an update for my motherboard bios and then after I started it my screen went black. Ive tried restarting the pc and dont know what to do. Please help!

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, you may be in luck. Do the following;
    1 Download the bios and place it on the root of a usb flash drive. Note if the file is zipped, you must unzip it. No folder or anything. File goes right on the root of the usb device.
    2 System OFF, open the case and pull the pw connectors from ALL drives both hd and optical
    3 Clear cmos with the clear jumper. Replace jumper to the normal or keep position
    4 Insert the flash drive in a rear port. Do not use a front case port
    5 Pw ON and leave it for at least 5~10min
    6 Hold in pw button to shutdown
    7 Now pw ON and see if you get a display. If you do, consider yourself lucky. Shutdown and reconnect your drives.

For future reference. DO NOT update a bios/uefi unless the update has a fix you need.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

One last thing. Be sure the flash drive is formatted as FAT32. It should be however do check when you place the bios file on the flash drive.
    Be sure you place the usb drive in a usb2 port and not a usb3 port. Good luck.

4. jwllvr34

jwllvr34 Thread Starter

What would I download the bios from?

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    ASRock 970M Pro3 Motherboard

We don't know which processor it has or how much RAM it has or how many running processes it has, so that may be a reason for the slowness.

Besides Google Chrome being a known memory hog, it's possible that something else was going on in the background that was slowing it down.

None of the listed BIOS updates are for your issue, so installing it wasn't needed.

A failed BIOS update can leave you with a non-functioning computer, so that's why you shouldn't update it unnecessarily.

-----------------------------------------------------------

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970M Pro3/

BTW NEVER use any windows bios update utility; ONLY update a bios from the bios menu using instant flash. Windows only adds an extra layer of complexity to a bios update.

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Where did you obtain the BIOS update that you installed?

I'll leave you with crjdriver.

--------------------------------------------------------------

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I checked the asrock site and yes the bios file is zipped so you must unzip or extract the file then place it on the root of the usb drive.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Frank sometimes the windows utility will download then apply the update. It is possible he does not know the site from which he downloaded. It is also possible that he downloaded the wrong update which if that is the case, the instructions above are useless ie it is now junk.

10. jwllvr34

jwllvr34 Thread Starter

Here is the link to the update I got http://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/970M Pro3/index.asp?cat=Download&os=BIOS it's the 3rd one down on the chart.

11. jwllvr34

jwllvr34 Thread Starter

What is a cmos cable?

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

As I suspected, you used a windows utility to flash the bios. IMO this is a BIG mistake. You download the instant flash version to attempt the bios recovery.
    Make sure you extract the file. The suffix should be .ROM or sometimes it is a .BIN type file. Place this on the root of a usb flash drive and follow the instructions I posted.

13. jwllvr34

jwllvr34 Thread Starter

For me it's saying .30

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, from your posts, the best advise I could give you would be to take the system to a shop and have them attempt to recover the bios.
    I am not trying to talk down to you however from your posts, it is apparent you do not possess the level of skill required to attempt a bios recovery.
    This is pretty much a one shot deal SO I would have a competent tech do it for you.

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

One other item. Any bios recovery or flashing is always done at the customers risk NOT the shop's risk. Most shops would charge you between 1/2hr to 1hr labor ie $40 to $80 or so. By shop I mean just that a real shop that does builds NOT a best buy or other chain store.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1162709

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice