1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

pc won't boot anymore

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mcklog, Apr 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mcklog

Mcklog Account Closed Thread Starter

Hi everyone

I need some serious help here

The story is a little long
    3 weeks ago, I had my computer working, and suddenly, it stopped booting windows, not even the logo show on screen, also no error code or anything. I couldn't enter diagnostic or safe mode (just bios). I had to format and reinstall windows 8 because any restore options worked.

Then a week ago, again it stopped booting, no error code, no anything, but this time, it bothered me that just 2 weeks before happened the same, so I started checking everything, so I took my Hard Drive, and put it in another computer, and it worked with no problem, windows booted, just not in my computer.

I started to look for solutions, and one was to use the command bootrec /scanos, and i got suprised that no windows installation was found. Eventually I had to speak with Microsoft tech, and they said it was my components because they were old, and they actually are (8 years), but I wasn't convinced that was it.

Before getting Windows 8 Pro, I had installed Windows 8 release preview, and it worked for months with no problem.

I thought that of course the fulll version would be heavier for my pc, so I installed Windows 7 again (had it installed for years before w8 release preview).

And now the bad part

after a couple of hours having the W7 installed, it won't boot either.

The same symptoms from W8, windows won't boot, not even the logo shows, although, with a little difference, now it shows a "Missing Helper" up the screem, and still shows no windows installations using bootrec /scanos

I've tried to narrow things for the problem, but I am not sure

Haven't tried putting the hd in another computer, but i've checked the hd for errors, and the memory too, the motherboard capacitors don't look bad, although some of them have some "blue ink like" stains

I don't know if there is a problem with ram, or hd, or mobo, or processor

I probably wil have to buy some new components (Mobo, Processor, RAM), but not sure if it's the right call

My specs are these:

Motherboard: Intel D915GRO/D915PRO
    Processor: Pentium 4 640 Prescott
    Ram: 2GB DDR
    HD: Western Digital 160GB
    GPU: Gigabyte Nvidia GT440
    PSU: Antec Hight Current 520

Please help me people, what can it be? :(

2. Sponsor

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Indications that are consistent with your hard drive being inaccessible (dead; loose data connectors; loose power connector; some kind of intermittent problem) ...
    it stopped booting windows
    I couldn't enter diagnostic or safe mode (just bios)
    again it stopped booting, no error code, no anything
    no windows installation was found.
    after a couple of hours having the W7 installed, it won't boot either.
    still shows no windows installations using bootrec /scanos

Sometimes it works, so the hard drive isn't dead. :) But there is some intermittent problem and I have no idea if it is with the hard drive, a cable, or the motherboard.

My personal opinion is that you would be better off spending minimal money on this and save up for a new computer.

Will move to Hardware, as it's not a Windows 8 (or 7) problem.

4. Mcklog

That's why I am not sure, because the hd can be accessed through cmd console, and in another computer (which is newer), I even made the backup through cmd console.

Also, I checked the cable, using it in the other computer, and it worked, and also connected the hd in another sata port, and it was the same

Isn't buying a new mobo, processor and ram, getting a new computer already?

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Microsoft calls it (new motherboard) a different computer, so you'll need a different OS unless your Windows is a retail version. :)

6. Mcklog

Then it's definitely a mobo malfunction? without a doubt?

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry

8. Mcklog

Sorry if I ask too much but I want to be sure, to buy just the necessary components

No more, no less

If more info is needed, just ask me for it
    I might be missing something important

Thank you in advanced

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I cannot say what component is causing the problem. From all the symptoms you gave us I'm confident that this is not a software issue. I gave you my best shot at what components are probably involved. The problem is intermittent, and I have no good ideas on how to further troubleshoot.

10. Netghost56

Netghost56

+1 that it's hardware. 8 years is like 80 in PC years :) You didn't mention if you noticed the interior of the case being warm or not. Overheating could cause intermittent shutdowns.

I would lean toward CPU or mobo dying.

11. Mcklog

I know it is very very old

I didn't noticed any overheating, everything was normal, except the booting

It never shutdown, just didn't boot overnight, without any warning, although the windows installation worked in another system

The only solution was to format, until it happened again

weird behavior

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1095563

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice