1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved PC won't boot anymore

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by balazs787, Sep 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. balazs787

balazs787 Thread Starter

I cannot turn on my PC. When I turn on the power supply it does a repeating, fast, high pitched, but quiet beeping sound (similar to some bird chirping). The power button on my PC doesn't respond at all, even the fans won't start. I tried disconnecting pretty much everything from my motherboard and adding more and more things slowly to no avail. I also tried out a new PSU but the same thing happens. If I disconnect the 24 pin cable, only then do I get a different sound (a continous high pitched sound). Before this I accidently plugged in the old PSU's FDD cable into one of the F_USB slots. Could I have killed my mobo with that? If not what could be the problem? How can I sort out if it's a bad mobo or something else?

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

This is the standard design FDD power cable
    https://www.lifewire.com/floppy-drive-4-pin-power-connector-pinout-2624581

Normally as far as I know the front port usb header on the MB - (I do appreciate you say
    looks like these examples
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/installing-frontal-usb-ports/

In simple terms the power to the front port comes out of the motherboard
    YOU have put power in to the board

If that is what you have done - the board is a lost cause.
    ONLY a professional with professional testing equipment could even start to find the damage.
    The cost would be prohibitive

I take it that front port is NOT now connected
    That said it will not I am 99.9% certain make any difference

3. balazs787

balazs787 Thread Starter

I see and thank you for your answer! So then it rules out anything else being broken. I will probably buy a new mobo tomorrow, it was pretty old anyways.

4. Macboatmaster

On the evidence available to us YES
    Not too long ago on this site I dealt with a topic where someone had connected a power in from the PSU to a fan OUT connector on a brand new top of the range MB. It was returned and tested - GONE to motherboard heaven

So it can happen
    The only possible test is to disconnect front headers for power button etc

• Ensure the 24-pin and 4/8-pin power headers are connected to the motherboard.
    • Ensure all other necessary power headers are connected to corresponding devices.
    • Locate the power switch header for the front panel connectors on the board. These are normally labeled “PWR_SW,” “PWR_BTN,” etc. In this instance, no cable is connected to the positive and negative headers.
    • Ensure the PSU is switched on and plugged in.
    • Find a screwdriver. Bridge the two pins allocated to the power button. This will eliminate any chance of damage to the front panel - I do not expect it to work
    • The system should turn on.
    BE VERY CAREFUL - ensure all parts possible are taken out - disconnected so there is no chance of damaging those

OR if that fails the only other possibility is to try shorting on the 24 pin connector
    https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?t=1107805

This is usually used to check if PSU turns on with it disconnected from MB
    DO BE CAREFUL PLEASE = otherwise it may be goodbye PSU as well
    BUT in your case will further eliminate chance of it only being front header and if that test fails I would say
    YES the board

5. balazs787

balazs787 Thread Starter

So yeah, just bought a used mobo, was pretty sure I killed the old one. Now it all works fine. Note to self: don't try to fit cables into slots which they don't belong to.

6. Macboatmaster

So I presume my suggested tests failed

7. Macboatmaster

Yes but perhaps you have not noticed the post
    In error balazs787 connected the FDD power connector to the front usb port header on the motherboard
    In otherwords - power in - for a header that is power out to usb port
    That said welcome to Tech Support Guy

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1196997

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice