1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC wont boot at all - Driver IRQL Not Less or Equal

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by CCJ, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CCJ

CCJ Thread Starter

Hi yesterday my laptop suddenly froze and just restarted itself out of the blue. SInce then the computer hasnt been able to successfully restart itself. Everytime it I choose start windows normally or safemode, safe mode with networking, start with last known config etc. will result in an automatic restart and repairing windows results in a BSOD stating Driver IRQL Not Less or Equal.

Ive read around about others experiencing this problem too, but it appears they were able to successfully start the PC to actually provide some sort of log.

Prior to the restart, I was just doing some casual websurfing, nothing too straining for the computer. A similar issue occured a year ago where my computer refused to start but that was because of a HDD failure. Could this be the same too? I've read about others experiencing similar problems and was fixed by changing the RAM or something.

Can anyone here offer some insight as to what the problem is, and if I can fix this myself or have to get it fixed?

Thanks

EDIT:

I have Win7 premium
    4gb ddr2 ram
    640GB HDD
    Gateway NV59 i3-330M @ 2.1GHz
    ati radeon HD 5650 1GB

2. rainforest123

rainforest123

CCJ:
    What's the complete error message?
    If the BSOD flashes too fast, tap F8 once / second during startup.
    Use arrow keys to highlight "disable automatic reboot " [ or similar ]

What changed? Perhaps a hardware or software install or removal; W7 update [ check W7's update history ]; an update
    to your anti malware or other program?

When was your computer manufactured?

Have you run mem diag; chkdsk /r? Hard disk drive diag? Gateway might have some, or others.
    Run the mem diag for 8 hrs or until an error appears.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/715-memory-diagnostics-tool.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/668-system-recovery-options.html

Would you consider yourself to be a beginning, intermediate or advanced computer user?

edit: Presumably Home Premium
    32 or 64 bit? Which seervice pack?
    end edit.

RF123

3. CCJ

CCJ Thread Starter

Hi thanks for the fast reply. I did as you ask to disable auto restart but the BSOD text are crammed together. ;

However these are the steps it listed for me to follow when I choose repair windows:
    check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adaptors.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as cashing or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advaced startup options and then select safe mode.

Tech info:
    ***STOP: 0x0000001E (0xFFFFFFFFC000001D, 0XFFFFF8000C0C00DA, 0x0000x0000000000000000)

And for the regular startup, safe modes, and last known config:
    http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u45/xxccjxx/CAM00076_zpsb13e8066.jpg

Im not really sure how to perform the tasks you recommended lol, and I consider to be a beginner user. I have absolutely no prior knowledge in regards to the BIOS or any related subject in that matter.

Also my PC is win 7 home premium 64bit and I cant remember which SP but I know that its fully updated. I dont believe Ive changd anything at all. I dont use any antivirus/anti-malware so I never get that for windows update. Havent really updated video card either. My laptop has always been connected to another 21' LCD screen and to a external HDD. I havent really updated any softwares lately aside from windows updates. Also Im not too sure when my computer is manufactured, but Ive had it for about 2 1/2 years now.

I looked at the links you posted earlier, but I couldnt follow the steps as I dont have a win7 CD. I have a backup option (gateway's default one) which I cant access without BSOD appearing again and the computer wont boot up properly.

4. rainforest123

rainforest123

CCJ:
    You are welcome.

Please answer all questions I asked, such as:
    and
    The more information you provide to us, the sooner we can help you solve your probelm.

Please do not take this as criticism. I am not comfortable going to photobucket.

Please use this forum's mechanism for attachments.

return to this thread

use "go advanced"

type something in the reply area
    left click "manage attachments"
    Left click "browse"
    go to the location of the .jpg
    Left click "upload "
    Left click "close window"
    Left click "submit reply"

The tutorials from seven forums are step by step. If you are unable to follow the steps, hopefully you can find a friend to help you.

edit: Which DVDs / CDs that the computer manufacturer probably included do you have now?

I need the entire blue screen [ BSOD; blue screen of death ] message.
    end edit.

RF123

5. rainforest123

rainforest123

6. rainforest123

rainforest123

7. rainforest123

rainforest123

Driver downloads for your computer are here.
    http://support.gateway.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?tab=1&modelId=2379

I do not see any diagnostic downloads.

Please read the .pdfs I mentioned in #6, above.
    The information might be in there, for your hard disk drive.

Here's a tutorial about using Gateway's recovery program.
    http://gateway-us.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12869

and in your situation, outside of Windows.
    http://gateway-us.custhelp.com/app/...2LzEvdGltZS8xMzU4ODQwNTA1L3NpZC9xQm5MM1dnbA==

Try to find documentation from Gateway about the hard disk drive in your laptop.

RF123

8. rainforest123

rainforest123

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086358

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice