Solved PC won't boot/black screen and cursor

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

wonjon

Yesterday I had a windows update, and I was able to restart my pc fine. It didn't fully update so I let it update and shut down so i could go to bed. Today I'm not able to boot my pc. I get a black screen and I can move my cursor. And occasionally the cursor has the blue loading circle and it'll go away, and come back seemingly at random. I can't boot into safe mode because I have uefi and all the advice I can find say to boot safe mode and uninstall the updates. I'm at a complete loss on what to do.

It seems that the update failed. You may need to wipe your pc and reinstall windows. If you have saved a backup, you can use it to restore your files.

Fireflycph

Morten
If you can restart and shut off - I believe it's 3 times - the machine should go to the repair screen. There, under Advanced, there should be an option to restore to a previous point. That's assuming that Restore points are enabled on your PC.
If you can't get to the repair screen then you can run the Win10 Media Creator from HERE, create a bootable USB or DVD. (obviously that will have to be done on a different system. Then select Repair when prompted. Do NOT choose install.

Actuallly if it goes to the repair screen after 3 reboots, you can select boot to safe mode and remove the update.

wonjon

If you can restart and shut off - I believe it's 3 times - the machine should go to the repair screen. There, under Advanced, there should be an option to restore to a previous point. That's assuming that Restore points are enabled on your PC.
If you can't get to the repair screen then you can run the Win10 Media Creator from HERE, create a bootable USB or DVD. (obviously that will have to be done on a different system. Then select Repair when prompted. Do NOT choose install.
So the restarting 3 times didn't work for me, maybe I was doing it wrong? But I was able to download win10 with the media creator onto a USB using my old laptop. It took a while but it did fully load eventually. I was able to boot from the USB and clicked repair, uninstall the latest update, and that managed to work. Now I'm able to use my pc again :) hopefully when redownloading the update it's successful this time.

So the restarting 3 times didn't work for me, maybe I was doing it wrong? But I was able to download win10 with the media creator onto a USB using my old laptop. It took a while but it did fully load eventually. I was able to boot from the USB and clicked repair, uninstall the latest update, and that managed to work. Now I'm able to use my pc again :) hopefully when redownloading the update it's successful this time.
Seems like an explorer issue. It may happen again.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online