PC wont boot (Cant clear CMOS)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

daddyruffe

Problem developed after my kids were using the floppy drive to save a document but not sure if this was the cause. Now it won't post so I cant get into bios or os at all. Monitor flickers in sleep mode and both CD drives light up and start spinning with no discs in.

I've had touble in the past tring to clear cmos on this mobo which is a Matsonic MS8137C+SI. Go through the shorting process as advised but does not clear cmos.

Any other ideas on how to clear the cmos as I think this will clear the problem by resetting to defaults.

I've also noticed that the floppy drive does not light up when I switch on.

My full system is: AMD XP 2400 running at 100 fsb (Has run at 133 but switching is tricky)
Matsonic MS8137C+ Socket A Mobo
Radeon 9200 Graphics AGP
Win XP Home SP2
300W PSU
All Bios up to date.
Seagate 40gb

I've stripped the whole system down including reseating the Processor and tried a reboot with only basics connected but still cant get past a flashing monitor so cant even get into safemode or bios to fix. I've also tried another graphics card.

your psu has 3 voltages if one is dead or off spec, your pc wont post but there may be activity caused by the other 2 voltage rails.

another way to clear cmos is to pull the battery out for a few minutes

daddyruffe

Yeah I tried removing the battery but no joy. I take your point about the voltage but I've had this cant clear cmos difficulty since the mobo and processor were new. PC has been running fine for two years.

Is there any other way to clear cmos?

Rukee

Banned
be sure to remove the power cord from the wall socket and push the start button to release any stored electricity that could cause the CMOS to not clear. Then take the battery out and move the jumper and leave it for a bit, hour or so. Then reconnect everything and try it again. While it`s sitting there, wiggle all the connections, the video card, memory sticks etc to be sure they are all seated good.

daddyruffe

Thanks Rukee

Tried all of that but still wont boot on cmos defaults. I'm going to try the same process but with most of the kit unplugged to see what happens.

daddyruffe

Tried a stripped down system and left for an hour but I still cant get the cmos to reset. Getting desperate! Any more ideas welcome

daddyruffe

Just fitted a new mobo and power supply and the problem is still there. PC wont boot. All I get is a blinking monitor.

That means the only things left from the start of the problem that I havent swapped out are the hard drives (no sounds of failure) the memory (Elixir 500mb 2700 tried in other slots) and the processor AMD Athlon XP 2000 (reseated etc)

Whilst I dont need to clear the cmos now as this is a new mobo I still haven't fixed the problem.
Whats your money on guys?

If you have two sticks of ram take one out and try to boot and if it does not try the other. It could be bad ram. If you have only one stick you will need to buy a new one. If that is not it, it has to be the processor is blown.

good Luck

daddyruffe

I've fitted a new mobo and the problem is still there. Just one stick of ram which I have tried in other slots but not actaully changed. I will swap this out.

is your motherboard shorting out.eg. extra mount without screw,metal prong on faceplate shorting out a port.do you have another processor or video card to try.do you get any post beeps.

daddyruffe

Just to close the thread ....it was the CPU that had cooked. :D Fan was badly clogged with dust when I stripped the system so I guess the damage was done by that.

I had replaced the mobo with a Gigabyte 400s and replaced the fried Athlon XP 2000 (that ran at 1.1 at best) with an AMD Sempron 2200 and its tootling along nicely at 1.49 ghz. (Board supports 266)

I guess I'll keep a closer eye on the dust in future.

Thanks for the posts along the way(y)

daddyruffe said:
Just to close the thread ....it was the CPU that had cooked. :D Fan was badly clogged with dust when I stripped the system so I guess the damage was done by that.

I had replaced the mobo with a Gigabyte 400s and replaced the fried Athlon XP 2000 (that ran at 1.1 at best) with an AMD Sempron 2200 and its tootling along nicely at 1.49 ghz. (Board supports 266)

I guess I'll keep a closer eye on the dust in future.

Thanks for the posts along the way(y)
glad you found the culprit, it does seem stange that a bad cpu would make it such that you cant reset bios though, wierd, I'll have to remember that one.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online