1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved PC won't boot even after replacing power supply

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jackcsprat, Jun 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jackcsprat

jackcsprat Thread Starter

I have a PC that I put together about 5 to 6 years ago. I woke up this morning and pushed the power button which flashed its led on the button and it would not start. I replaced the powersupply and it still won't boot.
    I have a speaker cable and I am getting no beep codes at all. I have removed my video card and all peripherals and nothing....still no boot. I have also taken out each stick of ram and tried using one at a time and nothing changes. I have also tried the screwdriver trick on the powerswitch posts and it still does not boot.
    I have also replaced the onboard battery for CMOS and that did not do anything either. I have checked the CPU and onboard power connectors from the power supply to the motherboard and ensured they are firmly connected.
    I can see two green leds that are lit up on the motherboard. The most the PC will do currently is the fan on the CPU will make about 1 to 2 revolutions and nothing else. The fans on the front and the rear of the case do not turn at all.
    Is there anything else I can try or is my motherboard just toast ?
    Thanks in advance for any help.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, no one [other than you] has any idea what hardware you are running. Post ALL of your exact system specs.
    Next do a minimum build ie pull out any add-in cards. Disconnect any usb device. Pull the pw connectors from ALL drives. Now attempt to pw ON. If the board will POST, then shutdown and start connecting devices one at a time until you find the problem. If the board will not POST, then you are down to the motherboard, cpu, ram or pw supply. Since you posted that you installed a new pw supply, that is probably not the problem [unless you installed a low end unit]

3. jackcsprat

Thanks for your response crjdriver. I have tried everything you mentioned and nothing changed.
    My current specs are:
    Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz
    Asus Z97-A ATX LGA 1150 Motherboard
    Gskill Sniper Series 4x4GB (Total 16 GB RAM)
    Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200 RPM harddrive
    Samsung 860 1TB 2.5" Solid State drive
    EVGA - GeForce RTX 2060 6GB XC Ultra Gaming Video Card
    LG Blu-Ray/DVD/CD writer
    Corsair Vengeance C70 ATX Midtower Case
    Windows 10 64bit

And the powersupply I just purchased is a Corsair CX650M

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Then you are down to the board, cpu, or ram. If you have removed all ram and video card and you are not getting a beep code from the motherboard speaker, then it is either the board or cpu. Most likely the motherboard.
    It is doubtful if you can purchase a new motherboard; most likely you will have to go used OR if you are very lucky, find one NOS.
    You need to decide IF you want to invest time/money into fixing 5yr old hardware OR if you just want to build a new system.

jackcsprat likes this.
  5. jackcsprat

So I think I got about 6 years out of this system. In your opinion, is that typical ?

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It somewhat depends on how you used the system. If you were gaming and or overclocking, then 6yrs is pretty good. If you just switched it ON for an hour or two every other day to do email and banking, then no.

7. jackcsprat

Thanks so much for your help today. I had used my system solely for playing FPS games. Guess it is time to head on over to Amazon or Newegg sites and start shopping for a new motherboard, ram, and CPU. You can close this thread, and again thanks so much.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1228938

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice