pc won't boot from c: drive anymore

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rick cousins

my son installed a demo disk from a cereal packet! it contained demo version of "who wants to be a millionaire" and a trial version of aol on it. pc gives message at boot up "hard disk failure" aaarrrgh! will boot to a: from start disk but when attempting to change to c: reports "drive not recognised" or something similar any ideas on how to fix please?
Thanks ETS - I am running win95 osr2. I have tried BIOS setup but to no avail as it doesn't recognise the hard drive from auto-detect. I will find out which BIOS is in the machine and report tommorrow.
BIOS is an Award Software Inc. rom/pci/isa (2a59IMZA)

[Edited by rick cousins on 03-29-2001 at 08:40 AM]

rick cousins
Have you tryed booting into safe mode and using the restore feature.
Since I don't know what operating system your using I can't be more specific.
Keep tapping the f8 function key at start and select safe mode and hit enter.

ETS

Do you know how to run the BIOS setup utility? You need to do that first to see if the drive is recognized properly by your BIOS.
If not, let us know what kind of system you have and we can help you do that.

Hi rick
The drive doesn't detect in BIOS? It may have died. Open up the case and recheck that the drive cables are firmly attached and that the master/slave jumper is correct. You might try running FDISK to see if it can see the drive. Use option 4 display partitions.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online