1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC won't boot from CD/DVD drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wiredk, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wiredk

wiredk Thread Starter

I am trying to install Ubuntu onto my PC but when I try to boot from the CD I just get a solid black screen. Ive changed my BIOs to have the cd/dvd drive as the first boot and still I put the CD in the drive, reboot the PC and get a black screen. The CD drive spins up but shows no signs of processing anything for several minutes.

The CD drive works fine as I use it regularly on the primary HDD and the disc works fine as I use it on my laptop and second PC regularly. What is wrong?

2. IT-Support

IT-Support

Apparently this is a common problem when installing Ubuntu.

Do a Google search for and download rawrite2.exe and sbm.bin. Put them both in the same folder. Get a blank floppy, put it in the floppy drive, and then run rawrite2.exe. Take the floppy that this program creates, put it in the computer you are installing the OS on. Make sure your bios is booting to floppy. A menu will come up, select CD-rom, hit enter, and walla, you will boot your CD.

Not sure if you mean that you can read the disc or boot from other machines. If the disc you've got is a custom burn, can you verify that it will allow you to boot from the disc on another machine. If not then you may have not have burnt it correctly.

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Is teh CD Drive in question an External?

4. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi,
    What version of Ubuntu? 10.4 is 'Beta' so may be "buggy" but 9.04 & 9.10 should be OK. Did the download go smoothly? Did you check the md5 sum? Did you burn the ISO to disc at low speed?

Good guide here though it refers to old version of Ubuntu the same principles apply:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/iso

Richard

5. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Wow!!! Three of us posted almost at once!!!

6. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Depending on your BIOS, you might have to set your first boot device to "removable media" for the system to boot from an external CD drive.

7. wiredk

wiredk Thread Starter

The CD drive is internal and I do not have a floppy drive on this PC anymore. The reason I think it is a hardware or BIOs problem is that the CD drive won't even start reading the disc when it spins up so if it was a problem with the instal I think it would at least have to read the disc in order to have a problem with it.

The disc spins up but the processing light on the disc drive never lights up even once. This is the third PC I'm installing this on with the same disc and the first time I've ever seen this problem. I've tried inserting my Windows 7 disc into the drive and it shows the same problem, a black screen with no text, no prompts, no signs of any activity.

8. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    It is probably a fail drive then if it won't even read your Win 7 installation disc.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915043

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice