1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

PC Won't Boot From CD To Reinstall Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jenonnet, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jenonnet

jenonnet Thread Starter

Please can someone help. I'm trying to reformat my PC & reinstall Windows XP. I have the Windows disc & the PC is set to boot from CD but it won't, it just starts Windows normally if I boot up with the CD in the CD drive.
    What can I do to make it boot from the CD so that I can format the hard drive & reinstall Windows on a clean system?
    Thanks in anticipation for any suggestions.

2. nessyguin

nessyguin

What disc are you trying to format and instal with ? It sounds like it might not be a proper OS instal disc . What is the wording printed on the CD ?

3. Old Rich

Old Rich

I you have more than one optical drive, try booting with the XP CD in the other one

4. jenonnet

jenonnet Thread Starter

I have 2 optical drives & I have tried booting from both of them without any luck. I have once had the screen telling me to press any key to boot from CD but when I pressed a key it booted up normally.
    The CD I am using is the same one I have done reinstalls from before & it worked ok then, it just won't do it now.

5. nessyguin

nessyguin

Once booted into Windows can you explore the CD ? If so , try making a copy of the disc if you have a blank CD handy . It sounds like a scratched or dirty CD in my limited experience ....

6. jenonnet

jenonnet Thread Starter

Oh but I wish it were that simple! I have another copy of the disc as a backup in case anything happened to the original & I have tried that too but it still doesn't work.

7. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

The hard drive that you are trying to format is it a used hard drive?

If it is a used hard drive did it have anything like Linux on it?

Whether it did or not I would suggest to remove the partition(s) and then re-partition it, reformat it and then re-install windows.

How to partition and format a hard disk in Windows XP During an Install.

http://www.directron.com/formatdrive.html#3

8. Old Rich

Old Rich

Do you have a usb keyboard? . . older system will not recognize a usb keyboard until the operating system is loaded. If you have one, you can change to a P{S/2 Keyboard and mouse for the install

9. jenonnet

jenonnet Thread Starter

No, the hard drive has never had Linux on it. The PC was new when I bought it & came with Windows XP loaded (I also paid for the disc so I had one if I ever needed it).
    Would the hard drive have a partition on it? My data is all on a separate hard drive which is also installed in the PC.
    I have also got a PS2 keyboard attached to the PC, even though I use a USB one when I use the PC, as it won't recognise the USB keyboard unless the PS2 is connected (that's another problem no-one had been able to sort out!).

10. Old Rich

Old Rich

be sure to disconnect the USB keyboard ( and any other usb devices ) for the isntall

11. jenonnet

jenonnet Thread Starter

OK thanks, I'll try that. I didn't disconnect them before so I will try doing that & see what happens. Thanks again.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701351

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice